Steam, first use

OK, I finally succumbed and thought I'd download the HL2 demo to see how
it runs on my system.

Spent 2 hours downloading the demo install file, 3 minutes installing
it, 10 minutes updating Steam, 1 minute setting up an account and
disabling auto-updates, etc, and finally click on play games.

It's now telling me I have to wait another hour for it to update (even
though it is set not to update my games in Steam).

Is this pretty normal with a first install of a Steam game ?

--
Alfie
<http://www.delphia.co.uk/>

Andrew

On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 14:27:29 +0000, "Alfie [UK]" <me@privacy.net>
wrote:

>Is this pretty normal with a first install of a Steam game ?

Yes, Steam always updates the game to the latest version before you
can play it.

shawk

Andrew wrote:
> On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 14:27:29 +0000, "Alfie [UK]" <me@privacy.net>
> wrote:
>

>>Is this pretty normal with a first install of a Steam game ?
>

> Yes, Steam always updates the game to the latest version before you
> can play it.

I didn't think this was the case if it's set to not update games as the
OP stated. Mine have always been set to always update (permanent
broadband connection) so I may be talking out of an orifice...

Does it perhaps just do this the first time out?

--
I mean, you've been around a bit, you know, like, you've, uh... You've
'done it'...

Andrew

On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 17:34:09 +0000, Shawk <shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses>
wrote:

>I didn't think this was the case if it's set to not update games as the
>OP stated. Mine have always been set to always update (permanent
>broadband connection) so I may be talking out of an orifice...
>
>Does it perhaps just do this the first time out?

That's what I meant. After the first time you can play it offline and
not have to update it.

On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 17:46:54 +0000, Andrew <spamtrap@localhost.> wrote:

>On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 17:34:09 +0000, Shawk <shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses>
>wrote:
>
>>I didn't think this was the case if it's set to not update games as the
>>OP stated. Mine have always been set to always update (permanent
>>broadband connection) so I may be talking out of an orifice...
>>
>>Does it perhaps just do this the first time out?
>
>That's what I meant. After the first time you can play it offline and
>not have to update it.

Yup, the first time you go to play it will update to the latest version,
regardless of what version you have installed (found that it had
converted my original HL to Steam but still insisted it needing updating
before playing although I had up to the last non-Steam patch installed).

Refused to convert my original OppForce, or accept the CD key in the
'register owned games' bit, says it's invalid, so I'll have to
re-download that through Steam.

First impressions;

The Steam install could do with some more config options, like where to
stick it in your program list and whether or not to set a desktop icon
(I prefer to group my games under a games folder and not have desktop
icons).

I like the window soft docking, very nice effect. I don't like the fact
that it opens up a new task for each window meaning that if you have a
lot of Steam windows open your task bar is full of Steam programs
although they will group properly.

I don't understand why Steam thinks on-line games like TFC and DM
Classic are considered ready to play when only 20% of the content has
been downloaded ? All this seems to get you is the main menu and config
options.

I like the fact that it switches all download resources to the game you
have selected to play, pausing other downloads if you have them running,
but it would be nice to be able to manually pause or start downloads, or
select a download priority.

HL2 demo is jittery as heck on my system for some reason [P4 2.5GHz, 1Gb
RAM, Geforce 6800 128Mb graphics, SB Audigy, XP Pro], sound skipping,
long load pauses (yes, have updated to current video drivers, tried
turning down setting quality levels, etc). Not sure how that will bode
for the full game but have seen some forum posts saying the demo does
not play like the full game (Valve have probably not updated the demo to
same Source engine level).

The backup option is very welcome for those of us that like to rebuild
our systems occasionally, or want to make some space on the HD. I guess
it also makes things a lot easier for those that have access to a
high-speed line (at work or college) but only have dial-up at home.

You have no choice over which content servers are used. That may not be
a bad thing because of Valve load-balancing their servers but does mean
you can be assigned a server geographically distant from you resulting
in slower downloads.

All in all, it's much improved over the first time I tried Steam (when
it was first launched), and the forum support has grown to a level that
you can usually find a well detailed response to common support queries.

I have to say I spent more time playing Codename Gordon than the HL2
demo, it's quite fun :)

--
Alfie
<http://www.delphia.co.uk/>

"Alfie [UK]" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 17:46:54 +0000, Andrew <spamtrap@localhost.> wrote:
<snip>
> HL2 demo is jittery as heck on my system for some reason [P4 2.5GHz, 1Gb
> RAM, Geforce 6800 128Mb graphics, SB Audigy, XP Pro], sound skipping,
> long load pauses (yes, have updated to current video drivers, tried
> turning down setting quality levels, etc). Not sure how that will bode
> for the full game but have seen some forum posts saying the demo does
> not play like the full game (Valve have probably not updated the demo to
> same Source engine level).

The original HL2 game was jerky at different times during gameplay for some
of us. It turns out that it was due to the autosave feature. There's a
HL2 tweak guide out on one of the web sites (I'll have to hunt for it again)
that covered steps to go into the cfg file and set autosave = 0 (something
like that).

Plus, if i recall correctly, this was fixed in a patch that was released
later on.

<snip>

On Sat, 12 Mar 2005, "Alfie [UK]" wrote:

after you've downloaded the demo you must wait another full hour only
to update the demo?
tree months ago olddog took 30 minutes, not its already one hour, i'm
sure by the end of the year you will have to wait at least 4 hours
and this using broadband!
so for a dial-up gamer to try the demo he should have to pay and wait
TWO full days to play a DEMO!
THIS IS UNBELIEVABLE! TRULY UNBELIEVABLE!

TRENDING THREADS