Steam for Linux Now in Open Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.

dameon51

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
It would be nice if in the future steam had 2 options of all games... native install, or stream/cloud. That way you could use Linux, and even if the game wasn't available for linux natively, you'd have at least some backup option to play it.

Soda-88

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011
[citation][nom]illuminatuz[/nom]Hope it supports CS:GO and CS 1.6.. my fav games..[/citation]
CS1.6 has OpenGL support (and so do all the Half-Life 1 and Source based mods), CS:GO is D3D only which is reserved for Windows.

tpi2007

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2006
Awesome news! I will be installing Kubuntu on a secondary machine to try it out! This is the dawn of a new era in PC gaming. 40 games ported as of now. Imagine what the gaming community will look like in a year if 40 games get ported every month. In a year's time we could be looking at a librabry with more than 500 titles.

[citation][nom]Soda-88[/nom]CS1.6 has OpenGL support (and so do all the Half-Life 1 and Source based mods), CS:GO is D3D only which is reserved for Windows.[/citation]

Not true. CS:GO is available for the Mac, hence it also renders in OpenGL.

Fokissed

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
[citation][nom]Soda-88[/nom]CS1.6 has OpenGL support (and so do all the Half-Life 1 and Source based mods), CS:GO is D3D only which is reserved for Windows.[/citation]
Source is D3D9 only. Goldsource is OpenGL since it is the Quake engine, but no one calls that engine source.

chewy1963

Honorable
May 9, 2012
Been waiting for this. Glad it's in Beta. This is a big part of my Windows exit strategy :) Now shut up Steam and take my money!

gpfear

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006
[citation][nom]tpi2007[/nom]Awesome news! I will be installing Kubuntu on a secondary machine to try it out! This is the dawn of a new era in PC gaming. 40 games ported as of now. Imagine what the gaming community will look like in a year if 40 games get ported every month. In a year's time we could be looking at a librabry with more than 500 titles.Not true. CS:GO is available for the Mac, hence it also renders in OpenGL.[/citation]

Make sure you use 12.04

overclockingrocks

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2006
Oh if this were to really take off and have the libary of games the windows side does ie make all games have a wrapper of some kind that allows them to play in either OS that would be glorious and I would exit Windows completely as I can run most of the software I use outside of games on Wine

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
Next major feature they should implement is streaming from one machine to another for unsupported games.

For example, your gaming machine would hold your downloaded steam content and games, and every other computer in the home would have access to the content through either streaming or playing directly off the devices storage.

Windows would be out of my house faster than the amount of time it takes for light to reach my desktop from my window.

army_ant7

Distinguished
May 31, 2009
Here's one: http://blogs.valvesoftware.com/linux/faster-zombies/ :)

Pherule

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2010
I don't believe it will ever support Diablo 3, so it's worthless to me at this stage.

Still, nice to see Linux finally moving forwards on the gaming scene.

G

Lol at the people saying just because of this windows is going to fall. Besides, its not like macs have a ton of steam games.

Linux still has to deal with:
distribution fragmentation
lack of (good/user friendly) drivers
poor market share
the huge amount of stubborn windows users

until those are fixed, linux has no chance of getting a signifigant market share any time soon.

antilycus

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
Linux hasn't stopped GS III w/ a Tegra chip from selling like hot cakes. THe linux fragmentation is slowly coming down to a hand ful. Debian/Ubuntu, OpenSUSe, RedHat and what else? REally...Those 3 seem to be the main focus of Linux distro's. Hell even steam is in .deb form (because Ubuntu is based of Debian core. I personally like Debian because it's stable even inf testing phase).

Linux is actually probably the number 1used O/S ever considering Android is based off it.

Status
Not open for further replies.