Steam for Mac: First Impressions, Windows Is Faster

Status
Not open for further replies.

littlec

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
Apple may have more games now but that doesn't stop it from sucking. In fact thanks to the folks at Valve the Mac can now suck where it has never sucked before! ;)

vant

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
Your still not getting it aznguy. MacBooks are superior in usability. I can care less about playing SC2 on my tiny 13" screen. Thats when the dual 20" Win7 rig comes in handy ;) But in classes, I'll take my multi touch shortcuts anyday.

Trueno07

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2009
I do know a lot of Mac users who are certain that their hardware is better than any PC. I politely remind them that, no, it's not, and that their operating system and hardware aren't being put to the test like a lot of PC's have.

Looks like that's changing...

henrystrawn

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
My wife has a Mac Book Pro of the same specs in this article. I have tried for years to get her interested in gaming. I built her a decent gaming rig, steered her toward a ASUS G72 laptop with the GTX260m. All to no avail. Maybe I can give it one last shot, now that it's available for her precious Mac.

Kelavarus

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
[citation][nom]vant[/nom]Your still not getting it aznguy. MacBooks are superior in usability. I can care less about playing SC2 on my tiny 13" screen. Thats when the dual 20" Win7 rig comes in handy But in classes, I'll take my multi touch shortcuts anyday.[/citation]

... I have a netbook with Multitouch shortcuts. Awesome, good to know my netbook (600 mhz Celeron, Intel 915GSE, 1 GB 333 mhz RAM) is equivalent to a MacBook.

Doommaker

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2009
This is good. I hope they get to play games like Crysis and BFBC2. It will show them just how weak their hardware really is at gaming. And there's people out there utterly convinced that a Mac can do anything a PC can.

Doommaker

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2009
[citation][nom]zachary k[/nom]why are they so expensive again? oh right, its the "hipster" thing to do.[/citation]

You pay an extra $500-600 for that shiny Apple logo.

Lamiel

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2009
[citation][nom]littlec[/nom]Apple may have more games now but that doesn't stop it from sucking. In fact thanks to the folks at Valve the Mac can now suck where it has never sucked before![/citation]
Somebody rated your comment down, dude. Silly Macfans! I gave you a plus though. Because you're right. Because Macs ....... Because they're proprietary, overpriced, underpowered... So and and so forth, ad nauseum.

blll_gates

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2010
In the future Jobs will come out and say how "inferior" Steam is for Apple. Point the blame at Steam being the reason it can't run on its advanced platform. Then Apple will copy Steam, create its own gaming platform. Make 1 million mediocre to poor games, and sell them for $79.99 each. Then sue Steam for patent infringement.

LATTEH

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2008
well i can under stand about the source engine not running well on mac because valve have never done OpenGL for source they have always done Directx i think in time it MAY get better who knows i would actually love to see them let Windows use OpenGL in it

Dkz

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2009
[citation][nom]vant[/nom]Your still not getting it aznguy. MacBooks are superior in usability. I can care less about playing SC2 on my tiny 13" screen. Thats when the dual 20" Win7 rig comes in handy But in classes, I'll take my multi touch shortcuts anyday.[/citation]
There are some "new" tiny devices who are capable of the same stuff you've mentioned "in class stuff" it's a lil' miracle called netbooks, which are nowhere near the mac 13"ish screened notebook's price you've mentioned. And if you were talking about the Ipad, well... Price/Performance that's the only justification I care about. Btw, before you jump into conclusions I use Ubuntu on my netbook, I'm not a fan of Bill's moneymaker. It just run my games like no other..

Doommaker

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2009
[citation][nom]Dkz[/nom]There are some "new" tiny devices who are capable of the same stuff you've mentioned "in class stuff" it's a lil' miracle called netbooks, which are nowhere near the mac 13"ish screened notebook's price you've mentioned. And if you were talking about the Ipad, well... Price/Performance that's the only justification I care about. Btw, before you jump into conclusions I use Ubuntu on my netbook, I'm not a fan of Bill's moneymaker. It just run my games like no other..[/citation]

I used a 10" Asus EeePC during college. Ran EasyPeasy on it and it worked like a charm. I could record lectures using the built in mic, it weighed no more than a textbook, and the battery life was at worst 6 hours. At best 8 hours. I don't see what I would have gotten by spending twice as much money on an Apple laptop. It does everything you need to do for note taking and more, but for half the price.

Some times being right can make one feel good. Just saying I told you so just doesn't quite cut it but perhaps game developers NEED to revisit the days ware DX wasn't the standard yet when Glide and openGl were still common for high end titles. The games won't be as appealing but having something that works as intended as well better on lower end specs would make gaming enjoyable under OSX and Linux with out bloating. For me gaming will remain under Windows since I prefer being able to play vintage games as well modern with out needing emulation.

keither5150

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2008
Steam waiting for all of the Mac gamers = the sound of crickets.

Macs still have 5-6% of the market..... and how many of those people game?

Again... the sound of crickets.

Steam and valve just aren't thinking.

Status
Not open for further replies.