News Steam game mod delivered malware on Christmas Day - Epsilon Information Stealer was hidden in a Slay the Spire expansion

Status
Not open for further replies.

MiniITXEconomy

Prominent
Dec 9, 2022
"It's always a good idea to use two-factor authentication," especially when Valve doesn't give two figs if your account is compromised, or not, they'll perma-ban it if they catch ANYONE doing shady crap with it. Enabling that should've been something you did, yesterday.

sigh we give these store fronts entirely too much power.

Reactions: George³

Sleepy_Hollowed

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2017
I don't have a store on their system, but I'm amazed they don't have an option of proactive scanning for malware.

I'm almost certain they don't because the big 3 of cloud don't have that option on their storage that you can just switch on (they have a tutorial for you deploying your own with ClamAV of all things which is hard to configure).

I'm guessing that if you use an OS for gaming, you might not want to put valuable data there and treat it as a dumb console, and it's a nice use case for the game wallets using a safe transfer method.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
I will happily admit a sense of relief that more downloads weren't compromised. With the sales that Steam and other launchers have been running, I have downloaded more in this December past than many years prior.

Heat_Fan89

Reputable
Jul 13, 2020
This is the reason why I don't save my credit card info with Steam, Epic or with Sony and Nintendo. I also don't use a Microsoft sign in with my gaming rigs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS