• 1-2 years

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • 3 years +

Votes: 2 40.0%

• Total voters

mazuk

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2007
it has been puzzling me whether steam will be able to keep the classics dod, cs, team fortress etc going even when new game engines, consoles and games come out

stemnin

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2006
damn, you meant classics.. should've read your post before lol..

I think it'll keep going as long as there is demand, and people still have terrible PCs and live in a cave.

cpburns

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2006
I see no way those games will die... not when I can still find plentiful Quake 3 and Unreal Tournament servers.

Hell, there are actually more UT (Classic) servers live nowadays than there are UT2004 servers!

Even Unreal still has a fairly active community with new content and maps being released as late as this year of 2007.

mazuk

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2007
ye that is quite true actually, these says i suppose it is the gameplay people get hooked on not how good the game looks and demands

stemnin

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2006
I play Quake 3 at work with 5 other people. I tried installing ut2k4 on these comps, but they are pretty terrible, most of us have 5200's with barely 300w power supply from a company I never heard of.

rower30

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2002
The problem that people don't see with STEAM, is that YOU don't own ANYTHING!! You think you do, but you don't. This is like owning a car, and you can only drive it if , when, and where GM will give you permission, and it seems thay don't have to at all if they wish. Just what do you do with that car now?

Try playing Half-Life 2 again for instance, on a new PC and see what happens. The STEAM engine won't rebuild itself (stuck at 31% and then says STEAM not available), you get no help from the STEAM staff, and "supporters" all say that you just need broadband and then its all right that you just paid $60.00 for a game you don't really even own.

This goes way past the CD-Key. My car has it's own key, too, thankyou. I simply want to play the game off-line, that I thought I owned the rights to when I bought it. My CD-Key should be more than fine for that. Net play doesn't enter into it at all. Net play is net play. If you want a source to limit that, fine with me (I wouldn't). With your broadband connections, download and patch your own files, it takes mere seconds. I'm in the country and stuck with 56K, and 56K used to initiate STEAM just fine. But, bloat to broadband content have effectively taken my $60.00 and run. This is more than a "few" users, too. I get five useless CR-ROMs and a pretty box. Nothing more, that cost VALVE $2.00.

As is, I reloaded the first Half-Life game, after using a "safeCDboot.EXE patch so it can see the disc in XPSP2, and away I go...but not to the store to EVER buy a VALVE product again.

3Ball

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006

Ouch! :ange:

tipdrill

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2007
**** that.

Steam is great, I can purchase a game online and then not have to use tiresome discs and dvds (which scratch or become lost). Steam has saved me money (games cost more in much more in retail stores) and time (not having to find a disc when i play a game or spend my day off buying **** that i can download in a couple of hours).

I was able to get COD4 on steam a few days before it started retailing in WA (wester australia).

Steam automatically patches games meaning that everyone is playing on the exact same version.

The only more convenient way of doing things would be to pirate games and usually you run into issues when you patch them.

Steam saves HDD space by not doubling up engines that already exist i.e. source.

I have never had an issue with re-downloading a game.

Yes you don't own the games but i still prefer to buy games on steam than any other media. I only with more game would come out via the steam distribution system.

Yeah, their offline setting sucks... get broadband (move out of your **** location that doesn't have it).

eadams9

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2007
I used to agree with tipdrill on this, but....

try reselling one of your games.

I'll stick to the physical media for my non-Steam exclusives from now on.

As far as reinstalling rower30, do a full backup of all of your games through Steam on your old machine. There's a great tool included that will do it for you. Then you won't have to update/redownload for years via dialup on the new machine.

stemnin

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2006
yeah, i still gotta give away my hl2 and episode 1 "gifts"... (coworker is interested, but i'm not sure if he'll ever play as he has just had another baby).