STEAM Games-Half-life, Counterstrike- will not Open/Play

sambolou

Honorable
May 1, 2017
Have downloaded and installed these games ok, but the games will not launch. Have verified integrity of game cache, and tried some esoteric launch options and other ideas found via google, but no luck.
Am using Bit-defender [free]- should l uninstall this?
Specs: OS: Win 7 64bit
CPU: i54670k
GPU: GTX1080 Ti
PSU: Cooler Master V750

Anyone have a solution to this problem?

Solution

Maybe what you're considering as reinstalling is something different than what I mean, because this shouldn't take you more than 15 minutes. Just to make sure we're on the same page:

1. Backup your steamapps/common
2. Add/remove programs, delete Steam
3. Reboot
4. Download latest installer and run
5. Copy backup file back into steamapps/common

sambolou

Honorable
May 1, 2017

Have tried just disabling Bibdefender but without effect.

Get no error message- the game just flashes a start, but then the screen goes black. The sound is not disabled though.

Have not played HL or the Counterstrike games for several years-just decided to give them a go again.
Could be a compatibility issue, but can't find the 'compatibility' page.

the_crippler

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2010

Being that both of those games are Valve games (and hence, updated regularly by Steam), I doubt it's a compatibility issue. Try fully uninstalling and reinstalling them and see if it persists.

If you have graphics or driver issues, one of the most common fixes is a clean uninstall and removal of your graphics drivers.

To uninstall your drivers, first download and run Display Driver Uninstaller, and follow it's recommendations of booting into safe mode and ect.
(This is a direct download link so you don't grab the wrong version)
http://www.guru3d.com/files-get/display-driver-uninstaller-download,20.html

You'll download a compressed file called "[Guru3D.com]-DDU.zip"
Right click and choose extract.
Go into the folder and run the DDU v##.##.exe
This will extract more files to this folder.
Run Display Driver Uninstaller.exe
Choose Yes when it asks you to boot into SafeMode.
After you've rebooted into safe mode.
When DDU comes up, if it hasn't selected your GPU manufacturer (Nvidia/AMD/Intel) then choose it from the drop down list
Press the Clean and Restart option
If a window comes up asking to disable the Windows automatic installation of display drivers click yes.

After (or before removing the old drivers, just put the new ones on the desktop or somewhere handy) rebooting back into Windows, manually download the latest drivers from Nvidia or AMD, don't use auto detect, choose you GPU model and OS from the drop down lists.
Nvidia: http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us
AMD: http://support.amd.com/en-us/download
Intel: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/detect.html

VileAngle

Prominent
Jun 21, 2017
If we're talking about the original Half-life and Counterstrike, I believe that they're both on the GoldSource engine (Valve's engine before Source). I also believe that they just got an update, so maybe that broke compatibility with some systems?

How do other games run? No issues?

sambolou

Honorable
May 1, 2017

Am running Mount&Blade-Warband and STALKER with no problems.

As for the latest update, will uninstall HL and Counterstrike and re-install them, and see how it goes. Will let you know.

sambolou

Honorable
May 1, 2017

Have done this before with no positive effect. Thanks for your input though.

When l reinstall the games, will verify integrity before attempting to play them.

sambolou

Honorable
May 1, 2017
Things have gone from bad to worse.

Now when l try to open Steam, get this error message from Windows, which has also happened not long before : 'Steam client
Bootstrapper has stopped working.'
Fixed this last time [maybe two weeks ago] by a complete uninstall/reinstall of Steam. Lost my games and had to reinstall them also because of this.
Don't want to have to do this again.
Is there anything inside the Steam folder that l can remove to fix this?

the_crippler

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2010

Yeah, reinstalling Steam generally fixes that, but you shouldn't lose your games. But, just in case, back up your steamapps/common folder (that's where your games are.)

sambolou

Honorable
May 1, 2017

Thank you.
Was hoping l wouldn't have to completely uninstall Steam again. Anything else l can do?

the_crippler

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2010

Maybe what you're considering as reinstalling is something different than what I mean, because this shouldn't take you more than 15 minutes. Just to make sure we're on the same page:

1. Backup your steamapps/common
2. Add/remove programs, delete Steam
3. Reboot
4. Download latest installer and run
5. Copy backup file back into steamapps/common

Solution

TRENDING THREADS