[SOLVED] Steam Icons blank on desktop after fresh windows 10 re-install.

Status
Not open for further replies.

peanutmanak47

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2011
All steam icons on desktop are blank after reinstalling windows 10

So I got a new mobo and cpu and reinstalled my windows. I have 6 total drives and obviously the steam file on the C: drive got deleted during the reinstall.

I reinstalled Steam and when I go to put shortcuts on my desktop from steam, they are all blank white pages.

I've noticed that my steam/steam/game folder has no icons in there.

I've checked to make sure that .url files are defaulted to "internet browser"

I've rebuilt my icon cache for windows 10 multiple times and no luck. Also rebooted after the rebuilds.

Also I have verified my local files in steam for games and that doesn't work either.

I have a lot of games and don't want to have to go through manually editing all of the icons on the desktop.

Solution
By reinstalling the OS, did you refabricate the bootable USB installer using Windows Media Creation Tools? When you speak of icons being missing or blank, it's usually a corruption in OS. When reinstalling the OPS were all your other drives(apart from the drive you were going to reinstall the OS on) disconnected from the platform? Once the OS install is complete, not to mention installing all necessary drivers manually, then connect each drive one by one, by that I mean powering down, switch off wall outlet, connect second drive, power up, then verify drive is seen in BIOS and OS, then repeat the process until you've reconnected all drives to the motherboard.

Lutfij

Titan
By reinstalling the OS, did you refabricate the bootable USB installer using Windows Media Creation Tools? When you speak of icons being missing or blank, it's usually a corruption in OS. When reinstalling the OPS were all your other drives(apart from the drive you were going to reinstall the OS on) disconnected from the platform? Once the OS install is complete, not to mention installing all necessary drivers manually, then connect each drive one by one, by that I mean powering down, switch off wall outlet, connect second drive, power up, then verify drive is seen in BIOS and OS, then repeat the process until you've reconnected all drives to the motherboard.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.