News Steam Labs Lets You Test Valve Experiments Like Machine Learning

Urzu1000

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2013
Their machine learning curation sounds an awful lot like their recommended games queue... I'm not really sure that's a new feature as much as trying to spin a dead feature as a new one to give it a round two.

Pleased to see that competing storefronts are giving them a little nudge in the right direction though. Steam's been stagnant in terms of innovation for nearly a decade.

Their machine learning curation sounds an awful lot like their recommended games queue... I'm not really sure that's a new feature as much as trying to spin a dead feature as a new one to give it a round two.

Pleased to see that competing storefronts are giving them a little nudge in the right direction though. Steam's been stagnant in terms of innovation for nearly a decade.

Stagnant in innovation? How many other distribution applications support Linux ad heavily? How many others have Big Picture mode? How many others put in native support for non supported controllers so people could play with the controller they like? In the past 10 years they added plenty of features most others have not, even before EGS got involved.

I highly doubt this was thought up and developed in the past few months because of EGS, especially when EGS doesn't even match Steam in current features. They have been working on the new interface for the past couple of years as well.

However this will turn out like anything else. A good idea that will probably be ruined by the community then VALVe will be lambasted for it by said community much like Greenlight.

Urzu1000

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2013
Stagnant in innovation? How many other distribution applications support Linux ad heavily? How many others have Big Picture mode? How many others put in native support for non supported controllers so people could play with the controller they like? In the past 10 years they added plenty of features most others have not, even before EGS got involved.

Their efforts on adding more game support to Linux has been exemplary and should not go without praise. That being said, the platform itself is clunky, buggy, and unintuitive to anyone that hasn't been using it for years. The storefront is awful, the chat systems are buggy, adding friends is a tedious process, etc. Very little has changed to alleviate any of these issues in the past decade. Furthermore, very few new features have been added at all for the amount of time we're talking about.

Last edited:
Their efforts on adding more game support to Linux has been exemplary and should not go without praise. That being said, the platform itself is clunky, buggy, and unintuitive to anyone that hasn't been using it for years. The storefront is awful, the chat systems are buggy, adding friends is a tedious process, etc. Very little has changed to alleviate any of these issues in the past decade. Furthermore, very few new features have been added at all for the amount of time we're talking about.

I guess in my eyes the current version is better than previous versions. Considering they have had no competent competition they have done well.

I typically use the beta update always and have no bugs that are major enough to speak of. The store is fine and not hard to use. People just don't like to put the time in to learn something. Compared to say Google Play or the Microsoft store its just as usable.

Reactions: Urzu1000