Steam not loading? Did I install Windows and configure BIOS correctly?

shen.matt92

Commendable
Aug 4, 2018
When I first boot my PC, upon the first launch Steam opens fast. After I exit and log out and try reopening it, it wont open. I have to reboot my computer for it to launch at all.

Built my first PC few months ago and this is what I did.

I make sure SATA or PCIE is enabled for the M.2 depending on which Im using (Ive tested both)

I make sure PCIE is running at GEN 3

I have SATA set to AHCI when using SATA

GPU is enabled, not CPU graphics. GPU is detected in slot_1 running at x16

M.2 is in M.2_1

If any SATA cable is plugged, I use SATA port 0 or 1

I clean and convert boot drive to GPT

1st boot device is the one I put OS on

If NVME is used, its at x4

When entering desktop after Windows install, first thing I do is install crucial drivers from MB disc, then Windows update then GPU drivers and any additional software

PC specs are

i7 8700K
ASRock Z370 PRO4
GTX 1080 TI
16GB 3000MHz RAM G Skill on XMP
NVME Samsung 970 1TB

Ive also used the 870 Evo SATA M.2 and this issue still persists

Tried reinstalling Steam, validating game files, closing all other apps, every thing. Updating and reinstalling other drivers like Mobo and GPU. More than a dozen reinstallations of Windows. Tried 3 different Motherboards and 3 different hard drives (A mechanical 3.5 drive in addition to the SATA and NVME M.2's)

Ive even tried installing drivers in different orders and doing Windows update before and after those.

Also Xbox controllers stop working after Steam is exited or if the controller goes idle, it cant reconnect.

Despite all these attempts both these issues persist. I even built a PC for my brother and he has the first issue of Steam not launching but the controller issue hes only had once.

Ive never experienced these issues up until I built my own PC. Ive had HP's, Dells and Gateways and they all functioned normally.

My question is, what do they do that I didn't? I watched several videos and read many articles on how to build a PC and I feel like Ive done everything youre supposed to do yet my PC with top notch parts doesn't work right.

Anothyer funny thing is sometimes when I click on Steam or any other tab, even if I only click it once itll say not responding. Im not sure why that's happening since I have an 8700K and a NVME with 16GB of ram. Thousands of dollars spent for all this stuff and it just performs like its worth a few hundred bucks. If I wanted to see not responding, I would've bought a netbook.

Solution
My guess is that some steam process fails to exit properly and lingers in the background after you exit steam. Then when you try to launch steam again, it thinks it is already running and doesn't launch another instance. As for why it happens, I don't know, but what you can try to do whenever it happens is to launch task manager and open the "Details" tab. Then look for the processes "Steam.exe" and "steamwebhelper.exe" Try right clicking and selecting "End task" on any steam/steamwebhelper processes you find and see if you can launch steam again once those processes are gone.

Make sure that steam and your built in web browsers (IE / Edge) are fully updated.
Sep 2, 2018
My guess is that some steam process fails to exit properly and lingers in the background after you exit steam. Then when you try to launch steam again, it thinks it is already running and doesn't launch another instance. As for why it happens, I don't know, but what you can try to do whenever it happens is to launch task manager and open the "Details" tab. Then look for the processes "Steam.exe" and "steamwebhelper.exe" Try right clicking and selecting "End task" on any steam/steamwebhelper processes you find and see if you can launch steam again once those processes are gone.

Make sure that steam and your built in web browsers (IE / Edge) are fully updated.

Solution