Steam Now Offers Refunds On Games, But There's A Catch

Status
Not open for further replies.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
this is actually an excellent addition to address some concerns about refunding digital games BUT! wouldn't it make more sense to have the return window LARGER based on customer reviews and the total length of the game? some games require more than 2 hours to really be able to dive in... hell i can spend 2 hours just customizing graphics and characters. i've probably spent 100 hours on games just by leaving it in the start menu. maybe if it's more than 2 hours (and less than say, like 5?), they can refund the money back to the steam account instead of the actual payment method? maybe they can have a small deduction (to be fair) to prevent abuse of buying, playing, refunding games?

also, if there was some method of selling your games, that would be awesome too (i'm reaching). MAYBE i can trade 5 old games for one new one? or perhaps trade a game in for an additional discount off of a future purchase? maybe valve can revoke a game code and give me a pre-defined amount back. it could literally be any amount and people would take advantage of it since some games just go untouched. AND AND AND it would be an excellent metric of which games "stick" and which games people just want to get rid of. would be good information for developers for CERTAIN.

"a game or application that doesn't live up to its promises."
That's why I'm very careful about selecting my games. Read reviews people...
If it's near the top of the best games of all time list. It's typically worth the price. Nice to see they are fixing the issue in the PC gaming industry.

uglyduckling81

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2011
If origin did it first.... you are clearly doing it wrong.
Origin did it only because the Australian Government body the ACCC which regulates fair treatment of customers and consumer law took them to court because they were breaking Australian Law by denying refunds which Australians are entitled too. Steam is also in the process of being taken through our courts which no doubt is why they are changing their policy. Either they change their policy or stop trading in Australia.

Adda boy get a lil Neddy in ya

boju

Titan
Ambassador
I guess not reading system requirements properly is not included. Plenty of people bought FC4 for a dual core system not realizing they can't even play. So even racking up the two hr refund policy is impossible unless you hack the game with an injector.

atwspoon

Honorable
Jul 28, 2013
I fondly remembered trading in my playstation 1 and gameboy color games. Selling them back to the local store and getting a new game was cool too. eklipz330 ftw!

bimbam360

Reputable
Mar 3, 2014
Wish this was in place for X:Rebirth's launch. I gave it 90mins (which is still my play time on that game) before writing it off as the last time I ever pre-order a game -.-

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
well this does absolutely for us long time steam users that have a few shit games we only spent 5-30 minutes on before realizing it was shit. I've got games I only played 5 minutes that date back to 2004. They need a game trade system set up where we can sell old games to other players.

uglyduckling81

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2011
The problem is it would depreciate the value too much of games. People would have no second thoughts of buying second hand because it's not an item that deteriorates over time. There is no risk so why there is no incentive to buy new. They will never allow game trading or selling.
If you want to take advantage of that then you need to set up a new account for every game you purchase and when your done you sell the account with that one game and the email its attached to.

Status
Not open for further replies.