News Steam October 2023 Survey Shows Windows 10 Holding Strong

parkerthon

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
The big influx of Chinese players was because there was a 8-day Holiday for Mid-Autumn Festival and National day. This period, and also Spring Festival in January, see a massive spike in Steam players.

China loves Intel+Nvidia. November's numbers will be similar to September, things going back to "normal" stats.
I recall that China cracked down on gaming in general with severe limits for under 18. Happen to know if that gets lifted holidays? Curious how steam and other gaming companies are enforcing the draconian chinese laws.

Reactions: Order 66

Order 66

Grand Moff
Apr 13, 2023
Steam finally gave me the option to participate in the hardware survey, unfortunately, it was at a terrible time because I was in the middle of putting in payment information. I know I could have hit no, but I didn't want to potentially lose the chance. After I hit accept, it refreshed the payment information page and made me put it all in again.

Aug 30, 2023
I'm strongly considering moving away from Windows to Linux once Windows 10 is no longer supported. The more Microsoft treats is users like Apple does (forced updates, features i don't want being forced on me, ui design, plus privacy concerns) the less I'm willing to live in their realm of control. Linux keeps getting better (and easier to use) and Windows keeps getting worse.

halfcharlie

Prominent
Dec 21, 2022
Yeah well if others are anything like me, there's no way in hell I want to try to set up a whole new operating system, 50+ various softwares, then however many drivers, runtimes, countless settings etc etc all over again. Also not knowing if some of those may not work on W11. I'll hang on to my W10 installation by the fingernails, it's already been moved to a completely new build twice now by cloning C. I'm technically still using the same Chrome, bookmarks and all, since the beta release over 10 years ago for the same reason.