Steam only downloadnig at 40MB/s when speedtest.net shows 780mb/s

AGuyHonestly

Reputable
Jan 17, 2016
I have steam connected to the closest area from me (NY) and for some reason its only downloading at 40MB/s and sometimes dropping to 30MB/s. Why isnt it downloading at atleast 70MB/s? Could it be the network driver i have installed (on my old pc it used to download at 70MB/s but now my laptop connected via ethernet isnt)

Solution
Partially it is the load on the steam servers. This is hard to predict because they have multiple data centers and you have little control over which they download from. When the servers are busy they seem to degrade people who are downloading at high speed much more than the lower speed users.

In addition it depends on the game and how it is distributed. Some games it will download multiple files rather than 1 larger file. Lucky they don't download the many thousands of tiny files games have individually. Still all those little files tends to be why my machine will download things fairly quickly and then take forever to install even on a SSD. Pretty bad when it takes more time to transfer disk to disk than it does to...

SSD or spinning disk HDD? It's entirely possible the drive can't keep up with faster download speeds. Happens to my Steam games on my platter drive a lot when they update (particularly games like PUBG)

AGuyHonestly

Reputable
Jan 17, 2016

100% an ssd. Crucial MX 250gb. Also whenever downloading to my m.2 ssd same thing happens

Partially it is the load on the steam servers. This is hard to predict because they have multiple data centers and you have little control over which they download from. When the servers are busy they seem to degrade people who are downloading at high speed much more than the lower speed users.

In addition it depends on the game and how it is distributed. Some games it will download multiple files rather than 1 larger file. Lucky they don't download the many thousands of tiny files games have individually. Still all those little files tends to be why my machine will download things fairly quickly and then take forever to install even on a SSD. Pretty bad when it takes more time to transfer disk to disk than it does to download because of the file structure.

If you want to test download speeds download from microsoft they tend to be the fastest...just avoid the times around patch day on the first tuesday.

There really is not much you can do to affect the download speeds. If speedtest show good numbers your network is fine and the bottle neck must be elsewhere.

Solution

musrocs14

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2012
Do you mean mbps or MB/s. What is your internet speed from the ISP? Are you connected to Lan or wireless? I think you are mixing up the difference between mb/s vs MB/s 8bits to a byte. Most people have around 30 to 50 mbps (mb/s) divide that by 8 and you get 3.75 MB/s to 6.25 MB/s. I am getting 4.3 MB/s downloading a game right now from steam. An SSD or HDD would be able to handle gigabit ethernet but even then you would need internet speeds that are capable of filling your bandwith.

I have a 400 megabit connection at my house which is about 50 megabytes a second.

Steam rarely goes over 40 megabytes a second, which downloads the average 20 gigabyte game in about 7 minutes.

I've always assumed Steam capped download speed at 40 megabytes per second.

Has anyone downloaded from steam faster than 40 megabytes per second?

The title makes it very clear that he is downloading from steam at 40MB/s with speedtest.net showing 780mb/s