Steam overlay problems in Windows 10, particularly with the game Star Wars: The Old Republic

Status
Not open for further replies.

TexanGamer

Reputable
Aug 2, 2015
August 16 update: Nobody has answered this question yet!

--------------------------------------------------------------

Concerning the overlay in general, Big Picture Mode overlay works, but the regular overlay does not work unless I run Steam in Windows 7 compatibility mode, which then causes the BPM overlay to not work.

Before my OS upgrade, I managed to got the Steam overlay to work with the game SWTOR by using the non-streaming launcher and running this game in compatibility mode for Windows XP (Service Pack 3). But now, either the game does not launch at all, or the server list does not appear. Has anybody figured out how to fix this? Strangely, the game does launch properly when not launched through Steam, but that's not my goal here.

I've tried running the game in different compatibility modes and running both the game and Steam in Administrator modes, but nothing seems to work. Now that this problem has resurfaced, I need it fixed so I can easily talk to my Steam friends and quickly access the internet and web pages in-game without having to alt+tab out. The in-game Steam overlay (also known as the Steam UI or Steam Community Interface) is very important to me and I would greatly appreciate it if somebody could help me fix this.

Solution
Hello,

Try running in Selective Startup mode, to do so. please try the following;

1. Hold down the Windows and the R -buttons
2. Type in msconfig
3. Click the Selective Startup -option.
4. Untick Load Startup Items
5 .Select the Services -tab; tick this:
X Hide All Microsoft Services

6. Click Disable All

7. Apply & Close and Restart PC

Slashgeek