Steam problem

This afternoon when I tried starting Counter-Strike: Source
I was given a message that it could not connect to the steam
server. I am very sure of the password, but just for the
hell of it I clicked on the "recover" password and it's
telling me the account doesn't exist.

There is another option where you enter the CD key and it
sends you the correct account name via email - I did this
and it sent me the email with the account name, so apparantly
the account does exist in their system.

I can log into Steam using another account I just created,
but any time I try logging in with my old account it fails
with the "cannot connect" message.

As a test, I tried my new account with an incorrect password
and it gives a message indicating a wrong password. If I
try my old account with an obviously wrong passord, I get the
message that it cannot connect...

At that point I couldn't play any of my Valve games - not
even the orginal Half-Life!! - even in "offline mode" because
it says I have no connection information.

One of the Steam help pages suggested an uninstall of Steam
and then reinstall... I did this and it not only removes
the Steam program, but Half-Life 2 as well.

Has anyone else ever seen this?? I've sent emails to Steam,
and obviously they aren't going to respond until Monday, but
I was just wondering if this has been the experience of anyone
else?

Steam is not the probem!!

You are the problem with your IMPATIENCE and MUST HAVE NOW attitude!!!

Steam is perfect in its conception and has proven so with the delivery
of the incomparable Half-Life 2.

Many more game compaines will no doubt soon adopt this wonderful
content delivery tool for there is no question it is the way, the light
and the future of pc gaming.

shawk

cphite@hotmail.com wrote:
> This afternoon when I tried starting Counter-Strike: Source
> I was given a message that it could not connect to the steam
> server. I am very sure of the password, but just for the
> hell of it I clicked on the "recover" password and it's
> telling me the account doesn't exist.
>
> There is another option where you enter the CD key and it
> sends you the correct account name via email - I did this
> and it sent me the email with the account name, so apparantly
> the account does exist in their system.
>
> I can log into Steam using another account I just created,
> but any time I try logging in with my old account it fails
> with the "cannot connect" message.
>
> As a test, I tried my new account with an incorrect password
> and it gives a message indicating a wrong password. If I
> try my old account with an obviously wrong passord, I get the
> message that it cannot connect...
>
> At that point I couldn't play any of my Valve games - not
> even the orginal Half-Life!! - even in "offline mode" because
> it says I have no connection information.
>
> One of the Steam help pages suggested an uninstall of Steam
> and then reinstall... I did this and it not only removes
> the Steam program, but Half-Life 2 as well.
>
> Has anyone else ever seen this?? I've sent emails to Steam,
> and obviously they aren't going to respond until Monday, but
> I was just wondering if this has been the experience of anyone
> else?

Yes. Been going on for a few hours. Some can, some can't. No idea
what is causing it.

--
"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and
conscientious stupidity."

Martin Luther King, Jr.

On 29 Jan 2005 18:56:49 -0800, flightlessvacuum@lycos.com wrote:

>Steam is not the probem!!
>
>You are the problem with your IMPATIENCE and MUST HAVE NOW attitude!!!

Yea, those who do not worshipped the great idol Steam every day, must
suffer whips and barbs at the whim of its Maker.

No wonder devout worshipper Wally has never had a problem.............

>Steam is perfect in its conception and has proven so with the delivery
>of the incomparable Half-Life 2.
>
>Many more game compaines will no doubt soon adopt this wonderful
>content delivery tool for there is no question it is the way, the light

( from a select part of Gabe's anatomy ?? )

>and the future of pc gaming.

John Lewis

On 29 Jan 2005, cphite@hotmail.com wrote:

> This afternoon when I tried starting Counter-Strike: Source
> I was given a message that it could not connect to the steam
> server. I am very sure of the password, but just for the
> hell of it I clicked on the "recover" password and it's
> telling me the account doesn't exist.
>
> There is another option where you enter the CD key and it
> sends you the correct account name via email - I did this
> and it sent me the email with the account name, so apparantly
> the account does exist in their system.
>
> I can log into Steam using another account I just created,
> but any time I try logging in with my old account it fails
> with the "cannot connect" message.
>
> As a test, I tried my new account with an incorrect password
> and it gives a message indicating a wrong password. If I
> try my old account with an obviously wrong passord, I get the
> message that it cannot connect...
>
> At that point I couldn't play any of my Valve games - not
> even the orginal Half-Life!! - even in "offline mode" because
> it says I have no connection information.
>
> One of the Steam help pages suggested an uninstall of Steam
> and then reinstall... I did this and it not only removes
> the Steam program, but Half-Life 2 as well.
>
> Has anyone else ever seen this?? I've sent emails to Steam,
> and obviously they aren't going to respond until Monday, but
> I was just wondering if this has been the experience of anyone
> else?

i'm really sorry this is happening to you
the only thing i can tell you is each two days a post like yours
appears in this group and nobody knows how to help

although its no longer in your own reach how and when you play hl2
do us and you a favor, retell your hl2 experience to every friend
you have so they know what to expect for anyone accepting steam

--
post made in a steam-free computer
i said "NO" to valve and steam

John Lewis wrote:

> ( from a select part of Gabe's anatomy ?? )

You need help. What is the thing you have for this guys body parts?

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

> On Sun, 30 Jan 2005, John Lewis wrote:
> > "A <<SINGLE-PLAYER>> PC game should be playable at any time
> that the purchaser wishes or be loaded on any computer that the
> purchaser desires and be played immediately ( after patching the
> install copy, if necessary - the patches being locally stored).
> That is the user-model which Steam breaks. NOT ACCEPTABLE."
> - John Lewis in comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action, january 30, 2005

Er, my single-player HL2 is playable at any time I wish. Even
yesterday, or whenever the servers went down.

Schrodinger wrote:
> "Chadwick" <chadwick110@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Er, my single-player HL2 is playable at any time I wish. Even
> > yesterday, or whenever the servers went down.
>
> Well done Chadwick. Thousands of others could not play Single Player
HL or
> HL2 yesterday for over 14 hours. Check out the Steam forums (which
went
> down under the strain of posts) and many posts here.

Perhaps they weren't playing offline? Personally, If I'm playing a
single player game I don't see the point of going online.

Actually, that's one thing about Steam I would change - make offline
the default mode for the single-player game.

Schrodinger wrote:
> Chadwick, as I have mentioned elsewhere, if you are not on dial up
you have
> no choice. Steam connects - even if you have checked offline mode in
the
> options.

Ah, now you see, that I did not know (my broadband connection is not
"always on" so offline mode always - apparently - works).

In that case I agree with you that there is no point having an "offline
mode" if it still goes online whenever it can.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005, John Lewis wrote:

> A <<SINGLE-PLAYER>> PC game should be playable at any time
> that the purchaser wishes or be loaded on any computer that the
> purchaser desires and be played immediately ( after patching the
> install copy, if necessary - the patches being locally stored). That
> is the user-model which Steam breaks. NOT ACCEPTABLE.
>
> The insistence by any game-developer of a complete dependence
> on on-line servers for authorization, install and patch of a
> single-player PC game is reprehensible and totally dishonors the
> paying legitimate customer. This customer should never
> be caught in the middle of a fanatical anti-piracy crusade by any
> developer or distributor, just because the developer is too lazy
> or devious to come up with an effective anti-piracy scheme that
> NEVER INCONVENIENCES THE LEGITIMATE PURCHASER.
>
> Even Xbox, Gamecube and PS2 owners of single-player games
> are better treated.

very well said!
at least once in a while can i read some good stuff in this group!
and thank god you are also writing cause sometimes i really lose
focus... don't know if its cause so many wally and relatives are
posting valve's propaganda... i wrote a hell lot to the original
poster but i left the most important stuff!
thanks john for pointing what is really the MAIN ISSUE with STEAM

"A <<SINGLE-PLAYER>> PC game should be playable at any time
that the purchaser wishes or be loaded on any computer that the
purchaser desires and be played immediately ( after patching the
install copy, if necessary - the patches being locally stored).
That is the user-model which Steam breaks. NOT ACCEPTABLE."
- John Lewis in comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action, january 30, 2005

--
post made in a steam-free computer
i said "NO" to valve and steam

schrodinger

> Schrodinger wrote:
>> "Chadwick" <chadwick110@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> > Er, my single-player HL2 is playable at any time I wish. Even
>> > yesterday, or whenever the servers went down.
>>
>> Well done Chadwick. Thousands of others could not play Single Player
> HL or
>> HL2 yesterday for over 14 hours. Check out the Steam forums (which
> went
>> down under the strain of posts) and many posts here.
>
> Perhaps they weren't playing offline? Personally, If I'm playing a
> single player game I don't see the point of going online.
>
> Actually, that's one thing about Steam I would change - make offline
> the default mode for the single-player game.

Chadwick, as I have mentioned elsewhere, if you are not on dial up you have
no choice. Steam connects - even if you have checked offline mode in the
options. As I said, check out the forums at www.Steampowered.com for more
information.

Might be worth you knowing anyway...

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 13:53:39 GMT, "Schrodinger" <no@way.com> wrote:

>"Chadwick" <chadwick110@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>> Schrodinger wrote:
>>>
>>> Well done Chadwick. Thousands of others could not play Single Player
>> HL or
>>> HL2 yesterday for over 14 hours. Check out the Steam forums (which
>> went
>>> down under the strain of posts) and many posts here.
>>
>> Perhaps they weren't playing offline? Personally, If I'm playing a
>> single player game I don't see the point of going online.
>>
>> Actually, that's one thing about Steam I would change - make offline
>> the default mode for the single-player game.
>
>Chadwick, as I have mentioned elsewhere, if you are not on dial up you have
>no choice. Steam connects - even if you have checked offline mode in the
>options. As I said, check out the forums at www.Steampowered.com for more
>information.
>
>Might be worth you knowing anyway...

Dont be such a plonker - of course you have a choice. Worst comes to
the worst, unplug your PC from Internet - or others say block steam
with a firewall if you want to be more selective about it - either way
- Steam fails to connect in any way - fails to offline and you can
play.

I did it - it worked - im happy.

Check the forums on www.Steampowered.com for more information.

Cheers.

Yojimbo
aka Justin Thompson

Very proud owner of:
3 'Hapless AGHL lurker' points
4 'I corrected Daemon points'
5 AGHL 'de-cloaking' points
6 'I summed it up in a sentence' points
10 AGHL "I sure slapped those fools down points"

schrodinger

"Justin Thompson" <Justin.Thompson@removethisntlworld.com> wrote in message
> On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 13:53:39 GMT, "Schrodinger" <no@way.com> wrote:
>
>>"Chadwick" <chadwick110@hotmail.com> wrote in message

>>> HL or
>>> went
>>>
>>> Perhaps they weren't playing offline? Personally, If I'm playing a
>>> single player game I don't see the point of going online.
>>>
>>> Actually, that's one thing about Steam I would change - make offline
>>> the default mode for the single-player game.
>>
>>Chadwick, as I have mentioned elsewhere, if you are not on dial up you
>>have
>>no choice. Steam connects - even if you have checked offline mode in the
>>options. As I said, check out the forums at www.Steampowered.com for more
>>information.
>>
>>Might be worth you knowing anyway...
>>

> Dont be such a plonker - of course you have a choice. Worst comes to
> the worst, unplug your PC from Internet - or others say block steam
> with a firewall if you want to be more selective about it - either way
> - Steam fails to connect in any way - fails to offline and you can
> play.

I am one a wireless network. My daughter and I often game and share files
over the network. Unplugging the router is not an option as she and my wife
use it for net access.

The only way of stopping it would be to use my software firewall to block
Steam when I didn't want it to connect, then go back in and unblock it when
I did.

As this problem occured suddenly and I don't *mind* it connecting normally -
even though "offline mode" is enabled - why should I have blocked it prior
to this downtime?

Maybe someone a bit less savvy than you or I may not know how to do this.
WHY SHOULD THEY WHEN THEY HAVE PAID VALVE THEIR MONEY FOR THIS SINGLE PLAYER
GAME?

> I did it - it worked - im happy.

I am glad you are happy. This makes me happy too.

> Check the forums on www.Steampowered.com for more information.
>
> Cheers.
>
> Yojimbo
> aka Justin Thompson

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

"Kroagnon" wrote

> Can you imagine having to deal with this for every game that comes
> out in the future? We have to put a stop to this now.

Anyone mentioned XBox-Live?
Or PS2 Online Gaming?

The automobile, the aeroplance, the helicopter, the rocket etc had their
tiny problems (and still have)
Anyone wish to stop spaceflights due to the ocassionally backsteps

I find it interesting and appealing to get a glimpse of the future for
onlinegaming
To hell with fileplanet and their queuing system
Or is it fileplanet you prefer above Steam?

And trust me in ten years from now noone will even be able remember Steam

Fusion - the new Always Online (TM) Gaming System is the future!!

- Peter

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

On 31 Jan 2005 03:10:18 -0800, "Chadwick" <chadwick110@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>> On Sun, 30 Jan 2005, John Lewis wrote:
>> > "A <<SINGLE-PLAYER>> PC game should be playable at any time
>> that the purchaser wishes or be loaded on any computer that the
>> purchaser desires and be played immediately ( after patching the
>> install copy, if necessary - the patches being locally stored).
>> That is the user-model which Steam breaks. NOT ACCEPTABLE."
>> - John Lewis in comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action, january 30, 2005
>
>Er, my single-player HL2 is playable at any time I wish. Even
>yesterday, or whenever the servers went down.

Read (and understand) the whole paragraph above, PLEASE !!
See the bit about loading (installing) ??

BTW, Steam's off-line mode is one of Valve's control-freak kludges. It
had a deliberately-inserted one month expiry date, until somebody
discovered it (with lots of consequent user-heat), and Valve hurridly
(er) fixed it -- it is probably 3 or 6 months now :) :) With Steam,
the paying customers are forced to dance to Valve's tune.

John Lewis

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 20:00:03 +0100, "Peter Lykkegaard"
<polonline@hotmail.com> wrote:

>"Kroagnon" wrote
>

>> Can you imagine having to deal with this for every game that comes
>> out in the future? We have to put a stop to this now.
>>
>Anyone mentioned XBox-Live?
>Or PS2 Online Gaming?

You missed the whole point. HL2 is a SINGLE-PLAYER game.
Just like Halo 2 <<single-player>>.... no need for Xbox Live, except
if you need to download a patch.

John Lewis

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

"John Lewis" wrote

> You missed the whole point. HL2 is a SINGLE-PLAYER game.
> Just like Halo 2 <<single-player>>.... no need for Xbox Live, except
> if you need to download a patch.

And you don't think games eventually will be distributed through this canal?
You have some reading to do

- Peter

Nada wrote:
> Peter Lykkegaard wrote:
>
> > "John Lewis" wrote
> >

> >>You missed the whole point. HL2 is a SINGLE-PLAYER game.
> >>Just like Halo 2 <<single-player>>.... no need for Xbox Live,
except
> >>if you need to download a patch.
> >>

> > And you don't think games eventually will be distributed through
this canal?
> > You have some reading to do
> >
> > - Peter
>
> And you have some downloading to do. I object this distribution
method.
> I need something concrete to put under my pillow at night, so that

> the game-fairy will bring me more stand-alone patches burned into a
CD-rom.

You really need to have standalone patches on a CD? Why? You can't
remove them afterwards, so what do you gain? I spose it saves
downloading them again if you ever need to reinstall the program, but
in that case wouldn't you be checking for the latest patch anyway?

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 12:23:29 -0600, "Kroagnon" <kroagnon@kroagnon.com>
wrote:

>I'm glad you've woken up to this fact - all it takes is one hiccup to
>realize how bad of an idea mandatory Steam is. The only way Valve or any
>other game companies will get the hint is to stop buying their products. Can
>you imagine having to deal with this for every game that comes out in the
>future? We have to put a stop to this now.

While I agree that boycotting a product is an important step towards
showing a company that you disagree with their practices, it is only
one step of the process. Just as important is letting the company know
WHY you are not buying their product, otherwise they won't know what
mistakes to correct with their next product (and possibly may assume
that something entirely different is at fault, e.g., "Oh my gosh,
nobody is buying Half Life 2! It must be that stupid grav-gun! In Half
Life 3, we won't use any physics at all!" :) :) :)

So, if you are, for whatever reason, opposed to Steam -and there are a
lot of reasons, take your pick- don't buy Half Life 2. But also,
write Valve a message telling them that it was Steam that cost them
your money. Preferrably send them a letter rather than an e-mail (or
just a diatribe on their forum :), as those are taken more seriously
(it takes more effort -not to mention the cost of a stamp- to write a
letter as opposed to blasting off an e-mail). Keep the message short,
honest and mature. A simple "I am writing to inform you that I am not
purchasing Half Life 2 from you because I object to Steam" is enough,
although if you think you can go into details without it devolving
into a rant, then more power to you.

Steam is designed to free Valve from the costs of traditional
publishers and vendors. If they conclude that they make X dollars more
by using Steam, but lose Y dollars by offending a percentage of
customers with their online distribution system, they will simply
compare X to Y and determine which is greater. So let them know how
many Y's there are out there.

NaDa

Peter Lykkegaard wrote:

> "John Lewis" wrote
>

>>You missed the whole point. HL2 is a SINGLE-PLAYER game.
>>Just like Halo 2 <<single-player>>.... no need for Xbox Live, except
>>if you need to download a patch.
>>

> And you don't think games eventually will be distributed through this canal?
> You have some reading to do
>
> - Peter

And you have some downloading to do. I object this distribution method.
I need something concrete to put under my pillow at night, so that
the game-fairy will bring me more stand-alone patches burned into a CD-rom.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

Chadwick <chadwick110@hotmail.com> typed as if devouring a plate of
spoo:

> You really need to have standalone patches on a CD? Why? You can't
> remove them afterwards, so what do you gain? I spose it saves
> downloading them again if you ever need to reinstall the program, but
> in that case wouldn't you be checking for the latest patch anyway?

Personally I like to burn fresh CDs for my older games which include the
latest patch and my favourite mods etc. Most games over 2 years old aren't
being patched any more, so there's no need to go hunting for the latest one
:)

There is no spoon.

EvilBill - http://evilbill.50megs.com/index.html
My Quake2 FTP site: ftp://65.30.181.223/quake2/EvilBill/
Jack of Hearts of the Eeeevil Trek Cabal (TINC)

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005, John Lewis wrote:

> Read (and understand) the whole paragraph above, PLEASE !!
> See the bit about loading (installing) ??
>
> BTW, Steam's off-line mode is one of Valve's control-freak kludges. It
> had a deliberately-inserted one month expiry date, until somebody
> discovered it (with lots of consequent user-heat), and Valve hurridly
> (er) fixed it -- it is probably 3 or 6 months now :) :) With Steam,
> the paying customers are forced to dance to Valve's tune.
>
> John Lewis

right on John!
and i go even further... i believe off-line as a feature will be fazed
out in future steam versions... obviously you will be able to play the
game if for example the connection is down, but it will be only steam
discretionary power to decide if its a matter of connection down so you
can play the game or if not and you really must connect, so basically
you will be complete hostage, completely dependant on a program which
will decide whether or not you can play a game
is there anything more HUMILIATING than relying on a piece of software
for your OWN decision of whether to play or not a game
this is really a sci-fi futuristic scene made reality of MACHINES DECIDING
FOR MAN
man biggest nightmare about machines eventually having control over us
and steam is an obvious first step towards it!
and the steam lovers, know about it, accept it and even say its the best
thing in the world!!!!
oh god the world has definitively gone crazy for some of us!

--
post made in a steam-free computer
i said "NO" to valve and steam

On Tue, 01 Feb 2005, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:

<snip>

> So, if you are, for whatever reason, opposed to Steam -and there are a
> lot of reasons, take your pick- don't buy Half Life 2. But also,
> write Valve a message telling them that it was Steam that cost them
> your money. Preferrably send them a letter rather than an e-mail (or
> just a diatribe on their forum :), as those are taken more seriously
> (it takes more effort -not to mention the cost of a stamp- to write a
> letter as opposed to blasting off an e-mail). Keep the message short,
> honest and mature. A simple "I am writing to inform you that I am not
> purchasing Half Life 2 from you because I object to Steam" is enough,
> although if you think you can go into details without it devolving
> into a rant, then more power to you.

that's a great idea Spalls!
do you or anyone else in this group have the best contact when it comes
to this matter, stating your complete opposition to steam
if someone has the best email and real mail address for complaints to
valve it would be nice to post in this group for any of us you want to
write then complaining about how bad and damaging steam has been

--
post made in a steam-free computer
i said "NO" to valve and steam

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 20:00:03 +0100, "Peter Lykkegaard"
<polonline@hotmail.com> wrote:

>"Kroagnon" wrote
>

>> Can you imagine having to deal with this for every game that comes
>> out in the future? We have to put a stop to this now.
>>
>Anyone mentioned XBox-Live?
>Or PS2 Online Gaming?

The discussion was about single-player games, not online multiplayer
games.