Question Steam Re-sizing, incorrectly displaying game files HELP

jamper

Prominent
Dec 14, 2018
To keep things short,

I have bad internet and have copied game files from another friends copy of a steam game to my own computer.

Steam recognises the files, however, steam also resizes (compresses?) the files down to an amount much lower than the original folder and then gives me the prompt to download a huge portion of 'missing' files (20+GB)

The strangest thing I've come across so far is I have 55.9GB of game files in my steamapps folder, however steam says I only have 238MB installed and refuses to display the files I have copied from a working steam version of the game.

Additionally, the size of my game folder is 55.9GB, however the size on disk is showing as 94.5MB, which seems odd, so I have no clue if this is affecting my situation somehow.

Let me know what you think about this, because I have no clue.. :)

jamper

Prominent
Dec 14, 2018
in steam click properties on the game then local files then verify integrity of files

This is impossible because the game is registering as not installed, so the option to verify is greyed out, and if I click install when the files are freshly copied over, it will prompt a further install of an additional 20GB of files. sadly.