Steam Sale: Deus Ex PC Games for $2.50 Each

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

The first Deus Ex is one of the finest games ever made. Probably the best soundtrack for a game as well. The second one, while not as good as the first, still had a very good plot. Damn you Xbox port!

teaser

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2008
I just started playing Deus Ex again after a bunch of years,damn it's still an awesome game,im still finding different ways to complete the missions.....

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
My roommate in college loved Deus-Ex, but his Riva TNT and AMD K-6 couldn't handle the game. But for that matter, my Athlon 900MHz and GeForce2 GTS could barely handle it either. It was very poorly coded. They fixed it in a patch if I recall, and I have no doubt my current rig can run it, but I was disappointed that such a good game was crippled by such poor graphics handling.

I was also disappointed when I installed my free copy of Thief 2 AFTER I played Deus-Ex, and found out the gameplay was nearly identical (Thief just didn't have automatic weapons). I'm not sure why Deus-Ex got such better reviews when it played the same as the older Thief series.

Either way, I'll have to pick this up.

JonathanDeane

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
[citation][nom]hellwig[/nom]My roommate in college loved Deus-Ex, but his Riva TNT and AMD K-6 couldn't handle the game. But for that matter, my Athlon 900MHz and GeForce2 GTS could barely handle it either. It was very poorly coded. They fixed it in a patch if I recall, and I have no doubt my current rig can run it, but I was disappointed that such a good game was crippled by such poor graphics handling.I was also disappointed when I installed my free copy of Thief 2 AFTER I played Deus-Ex, and found out the gameplay was nearly identical (Thief just didn't have automatic weapons). I'm not sure why Deus-Ex got such better reviews when it played the same as the older Thief series.Either way, I'll have to pick this up.[/citation]

Your room mate and you needed to run the game in Glide mode... on a Voodoo 3000 or better, it was smooth as butter on my 5500. Ahhh good old Glide in some ways I still miss it, not sure what the magic fairy juice was in the driver or the hardware but there was something in it. Maybe it was my rose tinted glasses they say time tends to make things better then they actually where. lol

bildo123

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2007
I was wondering if I should get this, the game is from like 2000. I remember playing the 'amazing' Half-Life one, but the immersion was ruined substantially by the graphics. I'm not saying graphics are everything, it's that I missed it the first time around, making that 'connection' to the past (that makes it awesome) non-existent. Wondering if the same would happen here.

joebob2000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
The first one was classic gritty dystopia sci-fi, whereas the second one was much more of a simple futuristic shooter. If you only play one of these, play the first (altho the graphics are downright paleolithic compared to modern games). I still remember the quotes from each of the three endings by heart. Superdork-- I know.

I loved the first Deus Ex. Had my K6-2 400MHz OC to 500MHz along with a 32MB TNT2 card and 128 MB :D. Had to use the Open GL patch on that one. I ran most of the game at 1024x768, but I remember I had to go down to 800x600 on the missile silo part. My Duron 900 with a GeForce 256 card had an easier time when I revisited the game latter of course :D.

The second Deus Ex, not so fun. A decent enough game, but a little below expectations after playing the first one :D.

that_aznpride101

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2005
[citation][nom]bildo123[/nom]I was wondering if I should get this, the game is from like 2000. I remember playing the 'amazing' Half-Life one, but the immersion was ruined substantially by the graphics. I'm not saying graphics are everything, it's that I missed it the first time around, making that 'connection' to the past (that makes it awesome) non-existent. Wondering if the same would happen here.[/citation]

bildo123, i would say at least get the first one if you really want a game with a decent storyline. for only $2.50, you seriously have nothing to lose.

efeat

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
Deus Ex 2, like many sequels to popular games, is a tragic tale. It was nigh impossible to repeat the brilliant success of the first title, which doomed Deus Ex 2 right from the start. While it's still clearly the inferior title, it's not that bad.

For those who have never played the series: Buy it; there's a reason so many of us fawn all over the name. Here are some of the game's finer points...

1) It's one of the most engrossing single player FPS titles ever, blending first person [shooting] action, top-notch story telling, RPG elements, and a phenomenal story.
2) Deus Ex has a fantastic soundtrack, [primarily] composed by none other than Alexander Brandon; the genius behind Unreal Tournmanet's music.
3) The voice acting is the epitome of the "so bad it's good" phenomenon.

Unfortunately, the graphics have not aged well, and there will surely be some people who pass over this masterpiece for that reason alone.

"What a shame."

Dirtman73

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2009
Part 2 was pretty good, once you got past the insane video issues. I remember having problems running it years after it came out, even after having upgraded my system and video card several times over. Part 1 is a classic and definitely worth $2.50.

asdf634

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
[citation][nom]hellwig[/nom]...I was also disappointed when I installed my free copy of Thief 2 AFTER I played Deus-Ex, and found out the gameplay was nearly identical (Thief just didn't have automatic weapons). I'm not sure why Deus-Ex got such better reviews when it played the same as the older Thief series.Either way, I'll have to pick this up.[/citation]
Perhaps that's because you played Deus Ex in the same way you played Thief, i.e. stealthy. The beauty of Deus Ex is that you can play how you want to and complete missions in multiple ways - be it a walking tank, a super spy or a hacker who lets other machines to do the dirty work. 2 is heavily crippled by the damn Xbox, but still not too bad. I hope 3 will not be just another console port...

sliem

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2009
I missed playing the game back in 2000 and now when I play it, it's like... ugh. I'm sure it was awesome back then. It's still very cheap though.

Status
Not open for further replies.