Steam save file location

veetitoiviainen

Commendable
Aug 25, 2018
I just bought a 120gb ssd which primary objective was to be only a windows drive. When I installed steam it automatically moved all the save games and what not to the new ssd documents folder. It took about 40 gigs of my 120 gb. My steam is not even installed on the same drive as windows
Is there any ways to move all the files from the documents to other drive and tell steam to put all the save games there.

Solution
It's not Steam that decides where to store the saves, it's the game. Most games store their saves somewhere on the C: drive, My Documents, AppData>Local, etc. A few games store the saves in the game's own directory.

As far as I know the only way to link already generated savegames after relocating them is via Symbolic Links, which fortunately you can create in W10. What they do is trick Windows into thinking the new folder location is still in the old location.

https://www.pcworld.com/article/2110095/the-ultimate-guide-to-proper-ssd-management.html

It goes without saying you'll want to backup your saves and keep your original save directory folders intact until you're sure you've gotten the save relocation to work.

Lastly, there's...
It's not Steam that decides where to store the saves, it's the game. Most games store their saves somewhere on the C: drive, My Documents, AppData>Local, etc. A few games store the saves in the game's own directory.

As far as I know the only way to link already generated savegames after relocating them is via Symbolic Links, which fortunately you can create in W10. What they do is trick Windows into thinking the new folder location is still in the old location.

https://www.pcworld.com/article/2110095/the-ultimate-guide-to-proper-ssd-management.html

It goes without saying you'll want to backup your saves and keep your original save directory folders intact until you're sure you've gotten the save relocation to work.

Lastly, there's no way your saves should be using up 40GB. I could see 4GB at most, but 40, no way.

Solution