News Steam Survey Shows Windows 11 Accounts for 8.3% of Users

Interesting numbers for sure. I'm still baffled the RX 400/500 series have so much of the AMD pie still. Then again, the lackluster prices for the 6K generation do not help at all; specially when those cards can still play retty much anything you throw at them (x80 with 8GB specially). Similar story with the GTX1K series. The 1060 6GB and the 1070/1080 siblings are just great cards still and that can't be denied.

Looking forward to more data not only from Steam, but also computer base and other major retailers to see how everything stacks up.

Regards.

Interesting numbers for sure. I'm still baffled the RX 400/500 series have so much of the AMD pie still. Then again, the lackluster prices for the 6K generation do not help at all; specially when those cards can still play retty much anything you throw at them (x80 with 8GB specially). Similar story with the GTX1K series. The 1060 6GB and the 1070/1080 siblings are just great cards still and that can't be denied.

Looking forward to more data not only from Steam, but also computer base and other major retailers to see how everything stacks up.

Regards.
One of the (many) anomalies with Steam Hardware Survey is stuff like the "Other" GPU category. Actually, this one also has "AMD Radeon Graphics" with 1.2%, with no indication what GPUs those might be. Could be RX 6600/6600 XT, could be older AMD GPUs. Who knows? That just started showing up in September, though. Anyway, it's interesting how many people apparently continue to play games via Steam with rather old and slow GPUs. There are still 1.7% of people with GTX 700-series, another 0.91% with Fermi (GTX 600/500 series), but only 0.39% with any AMD R9 GPU. Impossible to say if that's accurate or just due to the way Steam samples people.

bdcrlsn

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Up until last year I was still running my GTX 560 Ti 448. But with new games, the 1.5GB of video memory definitely destroyed my performance. As for Windows 11, I'm "officially" out of the fold on that because my still very capable first gen Ryzen can't handle it, apparently. I know there's solutions but sometimes, you just want things to work right of the box.

escksu

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 8, 2019
One of the (many) anomalies with Steam Hardware Survey is stuff like the "Other" GPU category. Actually, this one also has "AMD Radeon Graphics" with 1.2%, with no indication what GPUs those might be. Could be RX 6600/6600 XT, could be older AMD GPUs. Who knows? That just started showing up in September, though. Anyway, it's interesting how many people apparently continue to play games via Steam with rather old and slow GPUs. There are still 1.7% of people with GTX 700-series, another 0.91% with Fermi (GTX 600/500 series), but only 0.39% with any AMD R9 GPU. Impossible to say if that's accurate or just due to the way Steam samples people.

I am still using a sapphire r9 290x to game. Its coming to 8yrs old but still pretty decent at 1080p. Since i am not playing of the AAA titles, i dont need the fastest cards.

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
yeah that's interesting , but there was another report that said windows 11 is less than 1%
Both are right. Steam is more or less showing percentage of gaming systems which should be far higher than the overall market. I doubt there are any companies that have updated their desktops to Windows 11. None of the 100's of systems in the company I work for have been upgraded and they obviously don't have Steam installed on them either.

Regards.
Don't most high end GPUs end up in mining rigs anyway?!
Kinda hard to get one for gaming from what I read in the forums.

Don't most high end GPUs end up in mining rigs anyway?!
Kinda hard to get one for gaming from what I read in the forums.
Hm... I would dare saying the Radeon 6K's are bad in terms of mining performance/ROI compared to the nVidia RTX 3K's, so they're not going into miner hands in bulk like nVidia GPUs do. On the lower end, I'm not sure, but the Polaris siblings and Vega cards are really good, so it's even more baffling to see them there. I'm sure most Vega's are now mining (mine is still gaming though). RDNA 1's 5K siblings are also good IIRC, but those aren't benig sold anymore anyway and by now most are probably already in miners hands.

Hard to say for sure, but that's what I think.

Regards.

P1nky

Distinguished
May 26, 2009
One of the (many) anomalies with Steam Hardware Survey is stuff like the "Other" GPU category. Actually, this one also has "AMD Radeon Graphics" with 1.2%, with no indication what GPUs those might be. Could be RX 6600/6600 XT, could be older AMD GPUs. Who knows?

AMD started identifying integrated GPUs in 4000 and 5000 Series APUs (desktop and mobile) as "AMD Radeon Graphics". What you are seeing is the iGPUs spikes in numbers because of 5700G/5600G sales.

Last edited: