Question Steam takes super long to preallocate, download, or update my games.

May 13, 2019
Alright, so long story short, I've been trying to download and update some of my games and before this week, I've never had a problem. But now, the download consistently takes forever by stopping and restarting. I've resorted to restarting my computer every few minutes to get a few hundred megabytes out of the servers. I'm running a Windows 10 Desktop with Ryzen 7 2700X, 32GB of RAM, 4TB of HDD, 500GB of SSD, a GeForce 1080Ti.

Downloads shoot up every few minutes to like 100 kb/s and then gradually drops down to 0 bytes/s and sometimes goes as high as 10 MB/s before just going down to 0. I have tried every possible method to fixing this. And when downloading new games or updates, it remains in the preallocation phase for what seems like forever pretty much and never changes to downloading/updating.

I have contacted my ISP who said to contact Steam. I have restarted my computer, reinstalled Windows, restarted my modem and router, reinstalled Steam, stopped my FireWall, and disabled my Antivirus program, tried installed on SSD and transferring to HDD, changed my download region, limited my download speed, cleared the download cache, ran the program as administrator and I don't get any new results.

I'm very slowly losing my mind so if anyone has any tips or suggestions, I'm all ears. Thanks everyone.

May 13, 2019
It's steam. If you look on the Steam Discussions then you'll see people with similar problems, Ive had them also, especially start adn stop downloading on certain games on certain days.

Changing your download region in the download settings sometimes helps.

Already tried a handful of regions. I do think it's Steam at this point, but I just think it's ridiculous that an 18GB game will actually take days to download at this rate.

mtracy1991

Reputable
Already tried a handful of regions. I do think it's Steam at this point, but I just think it's ridiculous that an 18GB game will actually take days to download at this rate.

So I had the same issue... I was at 30 MB/S then downloads would drop to 0. Updates wouldn't work and the Steam UI was awful. The solution I took was format my SSD that had all of my Steam games on it and this solved my problem with the install/update/play glitch. Please give me an update when you tried this solution.