SteamOS Uses Nvidia's Streaming Tech; Ref Design on Weds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amdlova

Distinguished
We've already heard Gabe Newell thrash the Windows 8 platform, so it's no surprise hearing similar talk from supposed employees. Windows is the real cancer killing PC gaming, not consoles, he claims. (SO TRUE)

Teeroy32

Distinguished
May 23, 2011
Give me Half Life 3 already, take my damn money, can't wait for Steam OS, makes me Glad I have an AMD cpu and an Nvidia card now( I know AMD will work too but I've had troubles installing Linux on an AMD gpu and BSOD from radeon driver updates just last year and I only use stable drivers), especially how games are starting to progress and use all 6 of my cpu cores, plus games will be coded for AMD chps in the next gen consoles it should only get better.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
MS has not prevented anyone from releasing a game for Windows, unless it was a game made by them, if you want to shout a somebody for not releasing GTA V on PC (for example) you should direct your anger at Rockstar. You can argue the technical benefits of DX and OpenGL all day, but neither has prevented anyone from releasing games and seeing as Steam is the defacto PC gaming platform the only reason I see Valve knee jerk reacting is the assumption that Marketplace will supplant Steam as a games shop - Gabe really should calm down because it is making the natives nervous

JD88

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013
I'm not sure why because this is definitely a long shot by Valve, but this thing reeks of win.

They need to secure a major hardware partner to really push it over the edge though. Someone like Asus perhaps who has the distribution power to make sure those cool reference boxes are sitting on shelves at Game Stop, Wal-Mart, and Best Buy right next to the xfail one and PS4.

lpedraja2002

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007
Oh my god, if this turns out to be false I don't know if my nerves will take it. Seriously if this is false then Valve is an official troller for not saying anything about Half-Life 3. Oh pleas be true!!!!

Blessedman

Distinguished
May 29, 2001
Of course windows is the cancer killing PC gaming. Why do they want competition from themselves? Why give a free platform to develop and release on when there is a TON of money to be made on the console side of things. So in the right perspective, the consoles/phones/tablets are driving M$ to kill the PC as we know it. I just think Ballmer and the M$ machine are too greedy to get what they should have been doing all along... GIVE the OS away for free and lock down development and charge a distribution/activation fee. Which is now what they are trying to do but it's killing the platform because you can't expect a good reaction from taking away free heroin from an addict!

JD88

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013
`Microsoft is becoming more and more like Apple daily and this isn't a good thing. MS wants everyone to buy from their app store and nothing else. That's why they're cramming Metro down our throats and that's why they are still fighting to keep Win RT alive. It has nothing to do with the efficiency of ARM CPUs or whatever other BS excuses they came up with, it comes down to wanting to have a closed ecosystem in which everything installed on the PC goes through them.

They want that app store revenue. Period.

Razec69

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2011
WOW. I'm a fan of Windows, and by that I mean, I'm not the extremist that hates Windows so much that I would only stick to Linux.

I believe MS/Windows does a lot of things wrong, but WOW do I have to agree that Microsoft are the ones killing PC gaming. I appreciate Valve for what they do, and I don't get why the hell MS can't follow.

I loved the concept of Games For Windows Live. I thought it was great (my personal opinion) but the incredible lack of support from Microsoft (how the hell can you push a DRM/Gaming Service and not even release your own games ex. Halo and Fable were the last few games) killed the service.

I really don't understand what the hell they are thinking half the time. I really wish they could be smart and be the leading factor in PC gaming, hell they build the OS that 99% of games on run, why not give 1% more support.

I hope this SteamOS is something great, would love to have a true gaming experience instead of the huge bloatware behind Windows. If Microsoft was smart they'd release Windows Elite/Gamer edition where it wouldn't run the billions of background services, just let you play games and/or make it like the Xbox One where you can switch back and forth from the main OS to the Gaming OS.

I'd solve all of Microsoft's problems in a day, if those idiots weren't such idiots.

blackjackedy

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2010
Though it does seem like the kind of announcement they will be making, I would never trust 4chan as a reputable source for anything.

Or maybe I just can't accept that John Kerry is a ritualistic gay reptilian

Teeroy32

Distinguished
May 23, 2011
Give me Half Life 3 already, take my damn money, can't wait for Steam OS, makes me Glad I have an AMD cpu and an Nvidia card now( I know AMD will work too but I've had troubles installing Linux on an AMD gpu and BSOD from radeon driver updates just last year and I only use stable drivers), especially how games are starting to progress and use all 6 of my cpu cores, plus games will be coded for AMD chps in the next gen consoles it should only get better.

magicandy

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2008
If he is really a Valve insider I find it kind of curious that he didn't just say all this before Monday's Steam OS announcement. Everyone knew Steam Box and HL3 were down the line somewhere, but no one could have predicted Steam OS. If he came out on Sunday or earlier chirping about something we actually hadn't heard yet it would be one thing, but everything he's talking about are things anyone could guess on. If he told us about SteamOS before it was announced on Monday, then I would listen.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
That's half a dozen posts all saying the same thing, that MS is killing PC gaming, simply not true. Nobody has provided a shred of information as to why so it reeks of bandwagoning. Simple questions, if a dev does not make a game for Windows or a shop does not stack it on a shelf, how is that the fault of MS? And don't say Metro because that hasn't stopped anyone installing or playing.

rahul18348

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2011
Imagine if HL3 is an exclusive to SteamBox/SteamOS (Like Halo was for XBox). That will really give a jumpstart to this whole project. It will also establish a userbase for SteamBox/SteamOS so more developers can jump on the valve bandwagon.

stevejnb

Honorable
May 6, 2013

I'd actually be curious to hear some explanations on this as well. Metro and the Windows Store does seem a weak answer as well since the desktop is still there and 100% functional, and as far as I know, Windows 8 is very game compatible... Outside of Windows having background tasks taking up system resources - which has been true for about two decades, but I never heard anyone claim it was "killing gaming" when I was playing Duke 3D - in what ways has MS/Windows impeded people from making games for Windows?

If anything, having a relatively unified PC OS platform has probably been a boon for game makers, having to develop for one software standard rather than their limited resources going to making it compatible with a half dozen Linux distros/etc.

JD88

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013
Microsoft isn't "killing" PC gaming. All games I've tried still run the same on Win 8 as they did on Win 7 including some stuff from 1997 and before. Some of the compatibility features help this even more. Anyone who says otherwise doesn't know what they're talking about.

However, a few things are true, but as steve said, they have been true forever.

First, Windows is bloated. There is a big reason why people install Linux based OS' on older and slower computers. It's because it simply runs faster on them. The argument that high end PC running Linux can do other things such as gaming faster than a Windows based counterpart is certainly valid. Now that has been true for quite awhile. although I would argue that Win 8 might be the most bloated Windows ever. 22 GB of disk space for an OS is a fat horse that needs to trim down. A full install of Ubuntu needs less than 5. I know disk space doesn't equate into performance, but I threw that out there to give people an idea of what I mean in terms of the sheer level of bloat.

Additionally, when building a "gaming" pc, spending $100+ on a copy of Windows is a ton of money that could be spent on a better graphics card. I mean you can almost double the performance for that. Yeah it offers other stuff, but for the majority of gamers I bet steam plus Linux could easily accomplish about any task they desire free of charge. The difference between a $400 and $500 gaming pc really is big.

These advantages start to disappear though for high end machines where the performance difference doesn't really matter and the budget exceeds the $1k mark. However, in the market where the Steam Box will play, those things are huge This is specifically targeting the budget gamer who is looking to spend around $500 (or the cost of a console) to game and wants to consider a PC. Anyone who frequently posts on the Tom's forums knows that about 3 out of every 4 posters looking for build advice fall into that category.

TechArticulate

Honorable
Sep 25, 2013
The reason there is an impression that Microsoft is killing gaming is for several reasons. Their half hearted attempt at GFWL (which initially was a shot at a paywall like Xbox Live). This failed and the whole thing crumbled. Also, every other AAA publisher releases their games on PC and Console except the company that makes the Operating System! That seems like a huge missed opportunity especially when there could have been so much promise in cross platform gameplay. Finally, when does Microsoft ever talk seriously about PC gaming at any of the gaming conventions like E3. Its all Xbox all the time, all about the paywall and closing the platform.

Fortunately despite all of that headwind from Microsoft, PC gaming has gone on to thrive and Steam had a lot to do with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS