Steampunk Surprise: Azio’s Retro Classic Mechanical Keyboards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kennyy Evony

Reputable
Aug 12, 2014
They tried too hard to make it a premium keyboard and failed. Their target audience would rather have keys cut from actual marble not cheap plastic. If you are pricing a product and target towards upper class, use natural rich and rare materials or fail.

Rob1C

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2016
Great in-depth analysis.

I object to the word Steampunk being slapped on anything that is a little uncommon, it's like saying everyone with black hair is Goth.

Steampunk means that history was altered and that the present day version of the item is entirely different yet somehow familiar.

Steampunk is anachronistic technologies or retro-futuristic inventions.

More precisely, an alternative history of the 19th century's British Victorian era or American "Wild West", in a post-apocalyptic future during which steam power has maintained mainstream usage, or in a fantasy world that similarly employs steam power.

This Keyboard is missing a bit of tubing (maybe a lot), an Analog Meter (for Audio Level) and some Nixie Tubes (even LED lit) for the 'Lock Lights' in order to EARN the title "Steampunk Keyboard".

There are huge limitations to how different from a standard keyboard it can be as usability is key, ?? so a large divergence from the norm is unwanted (unless they truly reinvent a better wheel); a bit of copper coloring on one of three versions is not Steampunk.

They should have made it more TWX, but it's OK as is. Really well written and great analysis though.

bentremblay

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2012
As I've written elsewhere previously, I have for no 19yrs dragged around this magnificent IBM mechanical. Fabulous sound/feeling/feedback. 1998!
/bdt

tazmo8448

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2011
I have an Azio MGK-1 that first came out with the Kaihua switches an it has held up very well...did have an issue with some key caps but those were Corsair jobs I placed on the WASD & 1 thru 6 (red with a thatch-weave slanted surface) I have dealt with Azio in the past an their customer service is top notch. Their parent company is Levetron which makes good products....imo.

tazmo8448

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2011
When this retro model was first introduced I held off because at that time there was no back-lighting available....good to see they've added that.

Status
Not open for further replies.