News Steam's regional price hikes of up to 4298% could spur exodus from Argentina and Turkey gamers

Status
Not open for further replies.

coolitic

Distinguished
May 10, 2012
I know from my friends who've lived in Turkey that, even after the exchange rate, the prices of games were ridiculously cheap in places like Turkey. So no, this isn't anything but a long time coming.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Any idea what the difference is shown between the first two column in the table? The headers are the same except for one ends with "(s/i)", and the other with "(c/i)", and the 2nd column values all seem to be double the values in the first column.

Nov 21, 2023
Any idea what the difference is shown between the first two column in the table? The headers are the same except for one ends with "(s/i)", and the other with "(c/i)", and the 2nd column values all seem to be double the values in the first column.
s/i means "without taxes" and c/i means "with taxes".

The first column is the list price that is shown in the store and what the developer gets when you make a purchase (converted to USD in the third column using today's exchange rate). The second column is how much you end up paying: the list price plus various taxes (which to date total up 100% of the list price)

Reactions: TJ Hooker
I know from my friends who've lived in Turkey that, even after the exchange rate, the prices of games were ridiculously cheap in places like Turkey. So no, this isn't anything but a long time coming.
Doesn't that have to do with how the average salary there is a lot lower, so weaker markets get markdowns? I imagine that places with a lot lower wages have adjusted steam prices, otherwise people are just gonna pirate the games instead.

_Shatta_AD_

Reputable
Jan 27, 2020
This isn’t just an issue with games nor exclusive to those two countries. It’s with most electronics and services. Feel in my wallet in Canada too, a not so low income country. GPUs that costs CND$2000 when it costs $1199 in the US, same goes for just about every PC components and accessories, TVs, consoles, games, softwares, audio equipment, even services like GeForce Now are hiking prices in Canada. It’s quite unfair when companies price everything based on USD.

Status
Not open for further replies.