Steelseries 6GV2, only one button keeps failing

opel65

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2011
Hello fellow forum-goers,

I've been using this mechanical keyboard for about 2 years and had no issues with it.
I mostly play CS-GO.

Recently I started noticing that my "D" key is sometimes either registering too many presses or not registering any press downs at all. For example I press the D key once, as if I'd only like to type the letter "d", but it types it out three or four times in a burst. Other times it wont register me hitting the D key.

I've already stripped the keyboard and done a thorough cleaning, but that didn't seem to be the cause of the problem since the issue persists.

So, I'm wondering, am I gonna have to get a new keyboard just because one of the most used keys keeps failing? Do you have any other ideas?

Solution
Assuming it's out of warranty, take off the key cap and press down on the MX Cherry Black switch and see if it registers. If not, you've got a bad switch. Unless you are a very good electronics repairman, you can't replace the switch because it is soldered onto the circuit board. I'd go with a different brand.

**Make sure you unplug the keyboard before popping off the key and testing it to prevent possible electrical shock.
Assuming it's out of warranty, take off the key cap and press down on the MX Cherry Black switch and see if it registers. If not, you've got a bad switch. Unless you are a very good electronics repairman, you can't replace the switch because it is soldered onto the circuit board. I'd go with a different brand.

**Make sure you unplug the keyboard before popping off the key and testing it to prevent possible electrical shock.

Solution

opel65

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2011

The bug doesnt persist when I pull out the switch. The little black cross thingy registers every time weird