Review SteelSeries Apex 7 Review: OLED for Your Keys?

BaRoMeTrIc

Honorable
Jan 30, 2017
I really hope this fad of adding oled screens to peripherals subsides, it's totally useless except for maybe a few notifications during sessions. if i'm going to pay $160 I might as well just build my own or go with a huntsman.

Aug 26, 2019
I was sick of the Corsair crap that drove me nuts with bad firmware and iCUE glitches. The last problem pushed me to replace a Strafe with a Steelseries Apex 7 TKL. Best move I have made in a long time. Red switches are perfect for my preferences, the TKL size is great, and having the media scroll on such a compact form is a nice change.

The Steel Engine 3 software is far more intuitive and easy to use, but does everything I want to do in terms of profiles and customizing. Since I already had replaced a Corsair mouse that failed with a Steelseries Rival 310, I only need one utility for both. The Apex 7 TKL is no more than I paid for the Strafe - bit less in fact, and I am happy with the change.

Just for the heck of it I replaced the "letter" keys with HyperX - Double Shot PBT Keycaps while I was at it. I wanted to give it a bit different look and so I left the rest of the keys as original.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Logitech must have a patent on the location of their screen as why have it way over on right of KB when it could be squarely in the middle. Screens on keyboards, not a new thing. At least they didn't go mad and use them like DAS did on the keycaps.

Steelseries have a history of putting screens in random spots. My last mouse from them had one on its base, under the mouse... i never used it but it was there.

They make good mice or I wouldn't be onto my second one (last one lasted 9 years)