Review SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless Gaming Headset Review: High-Quality Hi-Res

RMTJ

Reputable
Jul 25, 2016
I've had this headset for about a year now, and it's been great.

FYI, you can change chatmix using the thumbwheel. Clicking the wheel in cycles through various controls (volume, chatmix, EQ, source) displayed on the base station.
You can also charge the headset without the base station, there's a micro-USB port.

Reactions: ammaross
Aug 5, 2019
I've had this headset for about a year now, and it's been great.

FYI, you can change chatmix using the thumbwheel. Clicking the wheel in cycles through various controls (volume, chatmix, EQ, source) displayed on the base station.
You can also charge the headset without the base station, there's a micro-USB port.

Two months since your reply and the article still hasn't been updated...

Wake up Tom's Hardware!

Reactions: ammaross

mac_angel

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2008
I wanted to comment on your updated "Best Gaming Headset" in the forums, but it was closed. My comment was going to be for the SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless anyway.
First off I will openly say that sound is extremely subjective and everyone will like something different, this includes how they like their sound, so no argument has to be made in the matter of opinion of sound.
Now, myself, I'm extremely picky when it comes to audio. I did a TONNE of research into headphones before I bought mine. Initially I had the Logitech G933, but for some odd reason they were not compatible with all my other Logitech devices, namely the G13. Through talking with Logitech, and a lot of complaining, they were able to replicate the problem, but not fix it. So I was able to return them and go back to searching. I was searching for two different sets of headphones. A mid range set, heavily leaning towards the Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro, and a decent DAC to go with it for my audio, and then the Astro A40 for PC Gaming. At that time SteelSeries released their Arctis Pro + GameDAC. Seemed great, except that my set up is not have me sitting very close to the computer. Through looking at the specs and how they are made, the headphones had the exact same drivers and such as the Pro Wireless. And while the Pro + were labeled for High Res Audio and the Pro Wireless were not, if you used the analogue cable with the Pro Wireless, you would get High Res Audio (I'm actually the one that told SteelSeries about this. Odd that you'd think they'd know their own product, but they were just focusing on the wireless/bluetooth aspect. The analogue cable thrown in the package seemed like an afterthought). I also have a Samsung S9 (soon to be S10 I hope), and the built in DAC on the phones are actually pretty good, and it supports high res audio, so long as you have an app for it. So, while a rather expensive set of headphones for gaming, considering that I was looking at getting a decent set of headphones just for high res audio, a DAC, and a set of wireless gaming headphones, this turned out to be rather cheap. And I am more than happy with it. They are a bit heavy, but I like to think it's a quality build. They are still comfortable, and sound amazing, in gaming as well as my high res audio files. Great battery life and just takes a couple of seconds to swap them out when the one dies. You can make different profiles and link them to different exe files, etc.
I can't really recommend them for the average gamer. But to those that believe in saving up for that extra quality and performance it's definitely worth it. For gaming as well as an audiophile.

ammaross

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2011
Just lodging another complaint about your incorrect information of:
"No ChatMix thumb wheel on earcups.
Needs base station to charge"
Since it's being regurgitated on your mashup articles of "Best <fill in the blank>".

Articles must have been chiseled in stone it seems.