SteelSeries' Customizable Shift Gaming Keyboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

cancer2

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
It looks great, but i can not imagine a new generation gaming keyboard without illumination(with intensity levels). It is a must for the serious gamer who plays late into the night. And ffs why is the Left Shift "nerfed"?
Just in case anyone wonders... yes, it can play Crysis.

eusebe

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2010
Looks a lot like the Zboard (or something like this)...
Anyway, I don't see the need to have something like this...I used a qwerty as a azerty for more than 2 years... while for the gaming... well, it might be easier not to hit other keys (if some are left out), but on the other hand... I have thick fingers, and never have trouble with hitting worng keys

G

small left shift is really bad... and illumination? seriously? you look at your keyboard? o_O

What a waste of mechanical effort. With all the display technology today, wouldn't it be simpler, with fewer extra pieces and moving parts, to just put a little display on top of each key and allow the user to program what they display?
(Yes, I am being silly. Yes, I am aware of the Optimus.)

cancer2

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
DUH! your not playing 100% of the time, who is looking at the keyboard when playing!? WHAT I'm saying is games look best when the room is dark, and ALL multiplayer games have a way of chatting, this is where illumination "shines", or glows in this case. Oh and in some games, you really need to look at the keyboard.
Why need keyboard illumination? Because you can reliably use the keyboard in the dark, without any additional light source. And it looks very nice also.

cancer2

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
[citation][nom]WyomingKnott[/nom]What a waste of mechanical effort. With all the display technology today, wouldn't it be simpler, with fewer extra pieces and moving parts, to just put a little display on top of each key and allow the user to program what they display?(Yes, I am being silly. Yes, I am aware of the Optimus.)[/citation]
You have a very good point, but the costs to make it will be way too high, and for games... a flat smooth surface with no different areas that feel different to the touch, so you know where your fingers are without looking, it will not be used. You need it to be able to use it even without looking like nenu said:
[citation][nom]nenu[/nom]small left shift is really bad... and illumination? seriously? you look at your keyboard? o_O[/citation]
I do own a G11 keyboard, and yes I know what I am talking about.

G

I bought the zboard fang keypad, before zboard was bought by steele. Work's great. Uses the same zengine that this uses. I just toss my keyboard up on my desk while playing and that way i have more room on my keyboard tray while i play. For those of us with FAT fingers having big arrow keys makes it a little easier. Bad thing about boards like this is you end up buying different keyboard sections for every game. Damn things get expensive.

mavanhel

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2009
Still can't get over the tiny left shift and MASSIVE enter key. I can't stand keyboard layouts like that since I only use left shift while typing.

Trashit

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2009
I'm still using my crappy $10 basic Samsung KB and you know what...it gets the job done. I couldn't be less bothered when it comes to gaming keyboards, specially ones that cost a kidney or a lung and offer no real advantage other than taking up more space on my desk. This keyboard has been thrown around, had all manner of drinks and sodas spilled on it and I've even rinsed it out under a tap and its still kicking. I dim my room lights right down when i game but just so i can still make out the keys. I have used back-lit KBs and they're nice but I after years of computer use I have a pretty good idea where all the buttons are and rarely do I need to look. Also in most FPS games, if you're not looking at the screen you're just a head shot away from being dead.

Nothing new to see here, just a revamped Zboard. The only thing nice about this (&zboard) is how all the keys are labeled according to the program, however, quite a few people remap keys to suit personal preferences anyways - thus negating any gain from such a keyboard.

I'm old school myself. Model M all the way.

jsm6746

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2010
i have "never" swapped out the keys to my zboard since day one... i tried the wsad fps setup when i first got it, but i immediately realized that swapping out keys between everything i do in a day on my pc is unrealistic... that and all the labels on the keys have wore off... heh

G

The left shift key is smaller because they moved the backslash/pipe key next to it. I'm used to the backslash key being above the enter key, so this design would not work for me.

qu3becker

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2010
That's how the left shift key is configured on my french canadian keyboard. My pinky fits correctly, nothing wrong. Not because it is different that it's bad...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS