SteelSeries Imbues Rival 700 Gaming Mouse With Haptic Feedback, OLED Display

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasonelmore

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2008
Finally a haptic feedback mouse! i wonder if Steel Series will enable their Haptic engine to tie into Game controllers rumble signals. That would be epic.

rwinches

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2006
Feedback using static electricity would be great a tingling when near danger increasing to having the hairs on your arm stand up culminating in a few zaps would add to the fun.

Great sensor. But Rival series mice have an inherent flaw. If you're right-handed, have somewhat wide fingers, and have owned a Rival, when pressing the scroll wheel you may have noticed it's easy to mistakenly click the LMB, as there's no space separating the (low profile) scroll wheel from the L/R buttons. I stopped using my R300 as a result.

The steelseries sensei raw, considerably less expensive with its laser sensor, at least imo had a better overall design, and a separate middle piece added to provide that needed space between the scroll wheel and L/R buttons. Go figure.

eza

Honorable
Aug 24, 2012

I still have an old Logitech mouse which has haptic feedback courtesy of Immersion technology (iirc they sued Sony and Microsoft for the vibration tech in the PlayStation and Xbox controllers)

The only game I can remember supporting it was Black & White.

The thing it did best was the integration with Windows: it let you feel when your mouse was over buttons, and the edges of windows would feel slightly raised as you moved the noise over them with a slight bump.

Was quite cool for the time, but they never followed it up.
I guess Immersion realised they could make more money out of their patent than they could actually making cool things :-(

Wow, I haven't heard of that game for some time. The very reason I recall lionhead studios at all lol. B & W was, at least I thought, unique, ahead of it's time with the concept of shaping the personality of your creature, and sadly underrated. I guess there is a B & W2, though not familiar with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.