steelseries sensei won't work anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tanner4446

Reputable
Mar 10, 2014
today i got a new mouse, it is a steelseries sensei and when i plugged it in it worked fine. Then i read in the handbook and it said that i can change the colors with this program and people said to get it so i did. when i went to install it it asked me to install the drivers for it and and error showed up on my screen that said, could not open bootloader device and now my mouse won't work at all if anyone could help me that would be great.

Solution
Have to add this here so people don't waste days trying to fix this(like I did) and can be found in a Google search.

Issue:
Sensei [RAW] firmware failure with orange blinking light. Steelseries Engine 3 will not recognize the mouse is present 99% of the time. Windows will not recognize the mouse at all.

Solution:
STEP 1 - Randomly plug the mouse into multiple USB ports, restarting the computer each time (you will waste hours and pull out a lot of hair) until Steelseries Engine 3 finally recognizes that the mouse is attached, it won't work but it will see it there in Engine 3 and attempt a firmware update (*which stalls at the start)

STEP 2 - When Engine 3 (finally) recognizes the mouse is attached it will...

Antykain

Reputable
Nov 10, 2014
vx9.com
Did you uninstall all, or any other mouse drivers that may have been installed previously? And SteelSeries Engine 3, did that install correctly? Have you tried installing it with the mouse plugged into a different USB port (USB 2.0 & 3.0, etc..)

I've heard others having this issue with the Sensei as well, but I can't remember for the life of me what they did to fix it..

I'll keep poking around..

Tanner4446

Reputable
Mar 10, 2014
I don't think i unistalled anything. it tried steel series 3 when my mouse was working and that didn't work. then i went to the webpage and saw my mouse and told me to install the engine 2 and it worked until it said bootloader failed. and i have tried plugging the usb everywhere and shutting down my pc.

Antykain

Reputable
Nov 10, 2014
vx9.com
Taken from the Linus Tech Tips site:

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/172028-how-to-fix-steelseries-firmware/

1. Remove all steelseries software from the computer (Engine, firmware updater, ect.) Note: if you have both steelseries engine 3 and steelseries engine 2 (just called steelseries engine) just remove the one that pertains to what you are fixing

2. Make sure there is no steelseries software running (task manager > processes) if there are any, hit end process

3. Plug in your extra mouse/keyboard, then remove all outdated drivers from old products (this is a good thing to do anyway) (device manager > view > show hidden devices, then go down to mouse/keyboard and right click > uninstall do this to all the old drivers), also uninstall your steelseries mouse/keyboard (I was able to tell my two mice apart because my spare had power saving settings, but the steelseries did not (as it was not fully functional), also, old mice will be grayed out, connected ones will not be)

4. Turn the computer off, then plug in the mouse/keyboard

5. Turn the computer on

6. Let windows do its thing for a little while with the drivers (it will probably fail, mine did)

7. You should now have at least some functionality with the mouse (can move it and click, but maybe not use scroll wheel/click and drag), if you have full functionality that is fine

8. Download the steelseries engine

9. Go through the installer, it will ask you to update firmware, say yes

I'll keep poking around..

gsuttor

Reputable
Dec 23, 2014
Have to add this here so people don't waste days trying to fix this(like I did) and can be found in a Google search.

Issue:
Sensei [RAW] firmware failure with orange blinking light. Steelseries Engine 3 will not recognize the mouse is present 99% of the time. Windows will not recognize the mouse at all.

Solution:
STEP 1 - Randomly plug the mouse into multiple USB ports, restarting the computer each time (you will waste hours and pull out a lot of hair) until Steelseries Engine 3 finally recognizes that the mouse is attached, it won't work but it will see it there in Engine 3 and attempt a firmware update (*which stalls at the start)

STEP 2 - When Engine 3 (finally) recognizes the mouse is attached it will ask you to perform a firmware update. This will not work, the progress bar will not progress no matter how long you wait. If you re-boot it is likely the mouse will not be recognized and you will have to go back to STEP 1 for a while until it recognizes again.

STEP 3 - Download and run SSEFix_1.27.0.0.exe, *IMPORTANT* This will only work if you have the STALLED Engine 3 firmware update window present (see attached image) otherwise you get a 'bootloader' error while trying to flash the mouse.

With the combination of recognized mouse by Engine 3 and stalled firmware update the SSEFix executable will work without the 'bootloader' error.

Please note I had another issue with both computers I was using, windows (8.1) would not boot into windows with the mouse attached, even disabling USB boot from BIOS, these mouse are pretty freaky!

I had to unplug the mouse, boot into windows startup then plug back in before login.
FirmwareUpgradeWorkaround.JPG

Image of firmware update working without bootloader error

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.