Step-by-Step Guide to Building a PC

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

tecmo34

Administrator
Step-by-Step Guide to Building a PC
Last Updated on February 12, 2012 - Updated Links

This thread is to provide a step-by-step guide to how to build a PC. These are the general steps required in building a PC, which can be performed what sequence you feel best fits your needs.

Step One: Choosing your components:
Step Two: Prepare your case:
Step Three: Install components on motherboard (outside of case):
Step Four: Install Motherboard into case:
Step Five: Connect System Wires:
Step Six: Install Video Card(s):
Step Seven: Connect Power Supply:
Step Eight: Boot System for First Time:
Step Nine: Install Operating System / Drivers:
Step Ten: Test System and Have FUN!!

Step One: Choosing your components:
Here are the components I have selected for this build: (First build since I decided to create this guide)
■CPU: AMD Athlon II X4 620 Propus 2.6GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Processor - Retail
■MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA785GMT-UD2H AM3 AMD 785G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
■RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL7D-4GBRH - Retail
■HSF: COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus Intel Core i5 & Intel Core i7 compatible RR-B10-212P-GP 120mm "heatpipe direct contact" Long ... - Retail
■HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
■PSU: Antec earthwatts EA430 430W Continuous Power ATX12V v2.0 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Retail
■GPU: XFX HD-465X-YAF2 Radeon HD 4650 512MB 128-bit DDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Retail
■DVD: Sony Optiarc 24X DVD/CD Rewritable Drive Black SATA Model AD-7240S-0B - OEM
■Case: Antec Three Hundred Illusion Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail
■Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound - OEM

Other links to help with deciding on what components to get.
Recommended Builds by Usage – This thread provides a very good guide of types of builds by usage at different price points.
*How To Ask For New Build Advice* - This is the best thread to review how to ask for advice and is a required format to get the best answers.
*Guide to Choosing Parts* - This thread provides a very good guide in choosing parts and provides many important links and ideas.
Best Of Tom’s Hardware: Beginner’s Guide To Motherboard Selection - This is a great Tom's Hardware article on what to think about and look for when choosing a motherboard.

Remember from this point forward to ground yourself by touching the metal case before you handle any of your computer’s electronic components, it saves them from possible static discharge which can destroy hardware. Some people find it useful to use a Anti-static wrist band but I leave that to the individual, as I don't find them necessary, as long as you continue to touch the metal of your case.

Step Two: Prepare your case:
In this step you want to get your case ready for the install. Others may have different opinions on what should or shouldn’t be done at this stage but these are the steps I undertake when building a PC.
■Remove both side panels off of the case.
■Determine how to route your case wires to provide good cable management.

Ready your case for your motherboard
■Remove your motherboard from the box and protective covering.
■Place the motherboard in the case to line up where the standoffs need to be placed.
■Place the standoffs on the case in the locations matching up with your motherboard
DSC_0531.jpg

Install Power Supply
I choose to install the PSU during this phase of the process, so I can start planning in my mind how my cable management is going to flow for the build.
■Remove the PSU from the box.
■Place the PSU inside of the case and line up the with “PSU hole” on the case. Some cases have the PSU mounted at the top of the case, while others have it mounted at the bottom. For this build, the PSU is mounted at the bottom in the Antec 300
■Connect the proper screws through the case to securely mount the PSU to the case.
■Prepare the power supply cables for possible cable management. 1) For cases with room behind the MOBO tray, I recommend routing all of the wires through the opening in the top/bottom, so when you place the components inside the case, you can route them back inside the case for good cable management. 2) For cases with no room behind the MOBO tray, there isn’t much you can to prior with the cables to so just have them all setting outside of the case, as the case is laying on it’s side.
PSUInstall.jpg

Install Hard Drive
■Remove the HDD from the box/protective covering.
■Remove HDD cage from case, if applicable.
■Place drive into the internal 3.5” slot, in the appropriate location on your case. For my build, I’m installing in the lower HDD cage in the Antec 300.
■Use the appropriate screws to screw the drive into the internal 3.5” slot. This isn’t required if you are using a tool less case or a “hot swaps” internal enclosure.
■Install the HDD cage back into the case, if applicable.
HDDInstall.jpg

Install CD/DVD Drive
■Remove the drive from the box/protective covering.
■Remove the front of the case to gain access to the external 5.25" panels, if applicable
■Remove the appropriate bezel from the case in the location you want to install the drive.
■Place drive into the external 5.25" slot, in the appropriate location on your case. For my build, I’m installing in the third slot down from the top in the Antec 300.
■Use the appropriate screws to screw the drive into the external 5.25" slot. This isn’t required if you are using a tool less case.
■Install the front of the case back on, if applicable.
DVDInstall.jpg

Install Rear I/O Panel
■Remove the generic I/O panel that comes to stock with your case. It may take a little more force than you think to remove.
■Install the Rear I/O panel that comes with your motherboard. Install it so you can read the text when the case is laying flat were the motherboard would be facing up. As with removing, it may take a little more force than you think to install it on to your case.
RearIOPanel.jpg

Step Three: Install components on motherboard (outside of case):
In this step you want to get your motherboard ready by installing components that are best install outside of the case; CPU, CPU Heatsink Fan and Memory.

Install CPU
■Remove the CPU from the box/protective covering.
Intel
■Unlock the CPU socket arm. Generally there will be a small plastic or metal arm that lies on the side of the CPU socket. To unlock it, just push it out and then pull it up.
■Remove the CPU socket cover.
■Align the triangle on the top of the CPU to with the corresponding corner on your motherboard's CPU socket and gently lower the CPU into the socket. Be aware, there should be no pushing or snapping involved in this process. The CPU, if correctly aligned, should simply fall (gently!) into place.
■Lower and lock the socket arm, which in turn will lock your CPU into your motherboard.
AMD
■Unlock the CPU socket arm. Generally there will be a small plastic or metal arm that lies on the side of the CPU socket. To unlock it, just push it out and then pull it up.
■Align the triangle on the top of the CPU to with the corresponding corner on your motherboard's CPU socket and gently lower the CPU into the socket. Be aware, there should be no pushing or snapping involved in this process. The CPU, if correctly aligned, should simply fall (gently!) into place.
■Lower and lock the socket arm, which in turn will lock your CPU into your motherboard.
CPUInstall.jpg

Install RAM – Review your motherboard manual for specifics on what slots to use.
Updated: Moved to recommend installing RAM before installing the heat sink to help with the large heat sinks blocking RAM slots close to the motherboard. (Thanks for the recommendation sevyr)
■Remove the RAM from the box/protective covering.
■Push back the memory clips on the specific slots you are installing them on
■Place the memory into the slots and push down on the RAM sticks. It may take a little more force than you think to push them fully into the slots. The memory clips should lock when you push the RAM in completely.
RAMInstall.jpg

Install Heat Sink – Review your manual for specifics for your heat sink!
Here is a more detailed guide on installing the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus... Installing the Cooler Master Hyper 212+
■Remove the heat sink from the box/protective covering.
■Prepare the heat sink bracket and screws.
■Install the motherboard mounting bracket on the back of the motherboard.
■Apply proper amount of thermal compound to the bottom of the CPU/heat sink (remember to remove the protective covering on the heat sink first… :D ). Most common method is to apply a pea size dot to the center of the CPU. With newer HDT coolers, I recommend using this method… Proximon’s guide on to how to apply thermal past to Heatpipe Direct Touch (HDT) coolers
■Apply the heat sink to the top of the CPU.
■Attach the screws to the motherboard mounting bracket to secure the heat sink. Once you have the screws started, slightly twist the heat sink side to side to help with spreading out the thermal compound. I recommend tightening the heat sink down using a criss-cross tightening method (1-3-2-4). You want to repeat the tightening steps 4 or more times until the heat sink is firmly secured to the motherboard. Don't tighten one screw down at a time.
■Connect the fan(s) to the heat sink, if applicable.
■Connect the heat sink fan power connector to the appropriate CPU FAN slot on the motherboard.
HSFInstall.jpg

TenPc

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012
This thread is like 4 years old, someone has added their reply so I thought I'd add mine. It's all good except for the Sata cables used, those yellow ones are not to be used inside a PC case with actual sata hdd's they have metal clips that are used with a PCMIA card in a laptop to connect to an external device.

It is common, even nowadays, to see those yellow cables being used but I have doubts of those metal clips, they might actually do the hdd damage if the clips actually touch the side of the hdd.

PA Systems

Honorable
Jun 20, 2013
Quite informative, particularly when it comes to applying components to the motherboard OUTSIDE the case. That was the way I did it for my first build and didn't even think that it would be the proper way to do it. I just thought it would be easier. One quick question which I hope might get a quick answer. What is the material that you place the motherboard upon when working on it outside the case? It looks like foil or some kind of plastic lining.

tecmo34

Administrator
It is the anti-static bag that the motherboard ships in. In feedback, others have recommended just using the motherboard box instead of the bag for fear that the bag might help create static itself. I have never had an issue but it is user's preference on what they do to help eliminate the possibility of static while working on the build.

cpc143

Reputable
Feb 25, 2014
Thanks a lot for doing such a well done project. As I prepare for my next complete i7 build, it came in handy for reminders and tips. My 2nd build...last one was 6 years ago.

May 9, 2015
I already had a Mini-Tower chacy; I bought a Gigabyte 78lmt-usb3 mobo, a 6 core AMD cpu. I already had other components, such as a Hyper 212 Heatsink, an Nvidia VGA card, an AGS SATA ATX 450W power supply, and a Sony DVD/CD drive, and a D-Link Internet Adaptor/Ethernet card. But I had to buy RAM and this was expensive. I spent almost $100 Dollars on 6 Gigs of RAM compatible with the MOBO, but it was worth it. I also have a Windows 7 Home edition DVD for my OS. I am satisfied with my newly built PC 2 from years ago. The only thing I did differently was that I used an Antistatic Wrist Band while I performed the installation of the PC's parts, especially the CPU! I know many are told to touch a metal part to ground themselves while handling sensitive parts, but I felt safer using an Antistatic Wristband instead. The cost of these were less than $200 Dollars and I feel very pleased with the end result! I have a PC that allows me to have access to the Internet, as well as composing and writing with the Word Processing software I installed.
Be well, and have fun building your own machine! I know I did and shall do it again next year.

slash_x3

Honorable
Feb 1, 2014
Hi guys I just build my computer but it won't start..
I connected all the cables and the led on the front panel is on but it doesn't start can you help me please?
My components are :
I5 6500
MB MSI B150M mortar
Ram hyperx ddr4 2133
PSU corsair VS550
WD 1tb