[SOLVED] Stepbro is idiot and formatted my 1Tb External HD to a 32Gb USB Fat32, Help

blueangel42

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2012
A few months ago my stepbro got a new computer. I helped him build it the previous night, and said id help him when I could to get a fresh windows 10 installed on it.

He was impatient and decided to do it on his own the next day while i was at work.

He took my 1Tb external hard drive that was FULL of movies id collected over 6 YEARS, around 180 full HD movies, and he used my hard drive w/o asking me, as his medium to install windows on, since the new computer he got did not come with an optical drive (something else i told him to consider that he forgot).

He managed to skip over every warning telling idiots that formatting will erase all data. Everything on the drive is erased, and the drive is now formatted as Fat32, only has 32gb of storage capacity, and when I try to format it back to NTFS, i can still only select 32gb of capacity from the drop down menu. It also asks me for allocation size... Assuming he has not bricked my drive, what should i set the allocation size too? i want it to be how it was originally, but I'm thinking if i set it to "default", it will use whatever allocation size 32gb on a fat 32 formatted usb is the default vs the 1Tb NTFS it used to be, if that makes any sense.

Im no genius with computers but holy crap its going to take a lot in me to get over what he did. Took 2 weeks to talk to him again. In the grand scheme of things I know, its not a big deal. But you really have to be a special kind of stupid to be able to follow instructions on formatting correctly BUT "accidentally" ignore all warnings and format someone elses hard drive you know had files and movies on it. He knew it was my movie drive we used it all the time. It took this long just for me to pick the drive up again and try and fix it; despite our relationship being seemingly back to normal, im filling with rage thinking about what he managed to do now that im having to think about it again.

Any help appreciated,
Thank you for your time

Solution
1. This is specifically what backups are for. Never ever have data on a single device. Here, he ignored all the warnings about formatting. It could just as easily have been dropped when you were handing it to him. Or gotten a ransomware virus off his system. Or whatever.
Never ever have your data hostage to a single device.

2. The drive is not bricked. Disk Management, and DELETE all existing partitions. That should allow you to create a New Simple Volume and reformat is as NTFS, using the whole 1TB space.

USAFRet

Titan
1. This is specifically what backups are for. Never ever have data on a single device. Here, he ignored all the warnings about formatting. It could just as easily have been dropped when you were handing it to him. Or gotten a ransomware virus off his system. Or whatever.
Never ever have your data hostage to a single device.

2. The drive is not bricked. Disk Management, and DELETE all existing partitions. That should allow you to create a New Simple Volume and reformat is as NTFS, using the whole 1TB space.

Solution

RobbeyRobert

Honorable
May 10, 2015
Hi, i hope you managed to get everything working by now, yes ? in case you did, i wanted to share a little secret with you, in case you might have not heard or known about this, there's a slight to great possibility that you can retrieve your lost data from your hard drive, seeing you mention that it was important to you.

Since normal formating does NOT destroy all/partially the data that was written to the drive, theres still a good chance you can recover if not all, at least a some precentage out of your lost data, the health of the lost data depend on some factors, one big factor is how many times new data has been written on the same place/sectors or how many times data has been erased/formatted on the disk.

To be able to recover you need: 1 empty hard drive, size of HD depends on size of information you want to recover
(you can recover on the same hard drive if you don't have spare HDrive, considering you have sufficient space left.
BUT is not recommended)

2: you need a special software that does the recovery work for you.
you could search on the internet for free ones or with trial versions, if any exist, or buy a license for a professional program.

One good software i used in the past that worked for me was:EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard
i don't know how they're current software works atm, but their previous version was very reliable and completed with 89 to 100% data retrieval, that is i managed to get back pictures , music ,videos, files etc.