Stephen Hawking Has a New Supercomputer

Status
Not open for further replies.

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
we will soon find an ultimate theory which, in principle, would enable us to predict everything in the Universe.
Need some constraints on that. It's not going to predict irrational outcomes like politics, religion, and M$'s OS design decisions.

zorky9

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2009
"The system integrates Stephen Hawking and 1,856 Xeon E5 Sandy Bridge processing cores as well as 14.5 TB globally shared memory. "

Now that's a super computer.

G

"we will soon find an ultimate theory which, in principle, would enable us to predict everything in the Universe."

lol.

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
Hawking is a looney toon stuck on pause.
I especially love the left wing environmental liberal crap he spews about man made climate change(he prolly invented that term so as to not look stupid)....

geeksinhere23

Honorable
Jul 29, 2012
if they can make a keyboard attach to his brain would be a lot helpful to squash abit more juice out from that supercomputer. don't waste cpu power when 99.9% of all cpu is in idle mode while Stephen hawking is in typing.

Flameout

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2009
[citation][nom]memadmax[/nom]Hawking is a looney toon stuck on pause.I especially love the left wing environmental liberal crap he spews about man made climate change(he prolly invented that term so as to not look stupid)....[/citation]
it's people like u that make the world worse for everyone else

[citation][nom]memadmax[/nom]Hawking is a looney toon stuck on pause.I especially love the left wing environmental liberal crap he spews about man made climate change(he prolly invented that term so as to not look stupid)....[/citation]
That is sooooo low, I can't even begin to tell you how low is of you.
Insulting a man who has achieved (in a state that would entitle the rest of us to just live off disability checks for the remainder of our puny lives) more than you would be able to in 10 lifetimes is just proof of what is wrong with mankind and indirectly proves him right once again.

proxy711

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2009
[citation][nom]geeksinhere23[/nom]if they can make a keyboard attach to his brain would be a lot helpful to squash abit more juice out from that supercomputer. don't waste cpu power when 99.9% of all cpu is in idle mode while Stephen hawking is in typing.[/citation]
I kind of doubt he can type anymore. If my grandfather with ALS has a computer that reads his eye movements to type out sentences so he can communicate with the world, you would think Hawking would have a much more advanced and faster way of typing.

2phatcows

Honorable
Aug 6, 2012
[citation][nom]Proxy711[/nom]I kind of doubt he can type anymore. If my grandfather with ALS has a computer that reads his eye movements to type out sentences so he can communicate with the world, you would think Hawking would have a much more advanced and faster way of typing.[/citation]
When he is working on projects, he has a partner that does the typing while Steven guides him with an advanced version of prediction word typing. It is really neat high tech advanced stuff.

kitekrazy1963

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2010
[citation][nom]Cons29[/nom]how about using those to treat cancer or something? like folding[/citation]

or see if it can play Crysis at max settings.

Meanwhile students at Cambridge will expect a 20% tuition increase.

bawchicawawa

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2011
[citation][nom]Cons29[/nom]how about using those to treat cancer or something? like folding[/citation]

How about there are already super computers and individuals helping out to compute folding?

Stop tunnel visioning everything.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]kitekrazy1963[/nom]or see if it can play Crysis at max settings.Meanwhile students at Cambridge will expect a 20% tuition increase.[/citation]

"Why should we give this loony Italian so he can find an alternative route to Asia? He's probably going to fail mid-voyage!"

"There's no need for the telegram, our messenger boys are sufficient."

"There's no need for this talking wire as the telegram is sufficient." (Western Union stated something like this after turning down Alexander Bell)

"Build a transcontinental railroad across the Great Plains? Might as well as build one to the moon!"

"Some loony wants a fortune to fund a couple of oil wells in this Texan area that doesn't have any oil. Haha."

"So some folks discovered the basics of radioactivity physics. Interesting. NOT."

"Why should we send a man to moon? Wouldn't the money be better used for the Great Society?"

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
Oh, and I also forgot one of my favorites:

"There is no need for unified scientific method or measurement. Also, there's no such thing as oxygen. Phlogiston is real."

G

Is a creationist any religious person? If so, isn't that a little broad? We don't have this term in Australia.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]Hawking 20[/nom]Is a creationist any religious person? If so, isn't that a little broad? We don't have this term in Australia.[/citation]

A Creationist believes that genetic changes (evolution) can occur by itself and that God is responsible for the creation and evolution of all species.

drwho1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
I would be interested to learn what those specs can do, also what kind of OS can handle such a massive amount of RAM. I hope is not Windows 8. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.