[SOLVED] Stepping up to Ryzen

dgm1280

Reputable
Oct 17, 2015
Current system is aging AMD 8350 CPU and I have just ordered Gigabyte X570 MB, a Ryzen 2nd gen 3300x, 2x8gb DDR4 3600mhz and a M.2 2080 256gb.
I have a retail version of Win 10 which came with its own pen drive, on my old system so I understand that I can install on the new MB using the M.2 solely as the boot drive.

Question is:
Do I need to cancel my OS with MS on the old system before the upgrade?
Do I need to erase the OS from the old 2tb HDD before I plug it into the new board? (without loosing my other files)
Is this going to be a headache?
Is there a guide that could hold my hand? :)

o7 thanks all

Solution
If your retail win 10 stick came with a installation key you're fine.

Make sure you have a Microsoft user account and your old pc is shown in your Windows devices, ypu can move the license this way after you have the new pc up and running.

Install Windows with ONLY the m2 drive connected.

Make sure its installed correctly and set as boot device BEFORE physically installing your 2tb drive.

You can copy any important files over to the m2 drive before reformatting the 2tb drive (this is absolutely recommended but not entirely necessary)

Lutfij

Titan
You should've gone with a B550 chipset board, since that'd have been more budget friendly.

If it's an OEM version for the OS, then the licence is tied to the motherboard it's on. Perhaps you can call up Microsoft and see if the licence can be transferred over.

dgm1280

Reputable
Oct 17, 2015
Thanks for the fast response, as I said it is a full retail version, came in a box with a pen drive and I used "powershell with admin" entered: slmgr.vbs /dlv and this confirmed it is a retail version.

I got the 570 because it was just £30 more than the 550 so I figured wth

If your retail win 10 stick came with a installation key you're fine.

Make sure you have a Microsoft user account and your old pc is shown in your Windows devices, ypu can move the license this way after you have the new pc up and running.

Install Windows with ONLY the m2 drive connected.

Make sure its installed correctly and set as boot device BEFORE physically installing your 2tb drive.

You can copy any important files over to the m2 drive before reformatting the 2tb drive (this is absolutely recommended but not entirely necessary)

Solution

dgm1280

Reputable
Oct 17, 2015
I would absolutely hate to format the entire 2tb HDD as it has approx 1.4tb of my games on it, mostly Steam but there is still no Fiber where I live, just poor broadband that I get top speeds of 0.5mb per second (actual) and to re-download that lot would take till Christmas.

It all arrives on the 31st, touch wood, so I'll let you know if all went to plan after then lol.

Thanks for the help.

So prebuild again .... what a choice ....
I would absolutely hate to format the entire 2tb HDD as it has approx 1.4tb of my games on it, mostly Steam but there is still no Fiber where I live, just poor broadband that I get top speeds of 0.5mb per second (actual) and to re-download that lot would take till Christmas.

It all arrives on the 31st, touch wood, so I'll let you know if all went to plan after then lol.

Thanks for the help.

You don't 'HAVE' to format the second drive.
You can leave the windows install on there as long as you follow my instruction regarding installing only with the nvme drive connected and making sure it's set as boot device before install your second drive.

Point steam to the steam folder on your 2tb drive as default and while it will check all those game installs it shouldn't have to redownload anything.

Valves official solution is here.

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7418-YUBN-8129