[SOLVED] Steps needed for Windows after hardware upgrade

Super14730

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2014
I would like to know how windows will react once I change out my motherboard and cpu. I have a digital license linked to my Microsoft account so, will this allow a change over automatically or does it require further steps on my part? My system is 5 years old and still running great for my purposes but I will eventually have to upgrade and just need a little peace of mind. Thanks for your help.......Nick

I would like to know how windows will react once I change out my motherboard and cpu. I have a digital license linked to my Microsoft account so, will this allow a change over automatically or does it require further steps on my part? My system is 5 years old and still running great for my purposes but I will eventually have to upgrade and just need a little peace of mind. Thanks for your help.......Nick
What is your current PC and what are the components you're planning to use?

Reactions: Super14730

logainofhades

Titan
You are going to want to do a fresh install, when you change board and cpu. You skip the product key portion, of the install, then sign in to your microsoft account, during that portion of the install. This is assuming Win 10, and you having registered your current hardware, with your current license, on your microsoft account.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...e-change-2c0e962a-f04c-145b-6ead-fb3fc72b6665

Solution
If your need is to retain installed apps and settings, you have a decent chance of success by booting the old windows C drive and installing motherboard drivers.
I am recently 4 for 4 on this.
If your original windows was retail, expect no activation issues.
If it was oem, you may have to buy a new license since oem is tied to the original motherboard.

Then, there is the possibility that the new cpu/motherboard is so different that it will not boot.
Then, plan on a clean install.

Super14730

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2014
What is your current PC and what are the components you're planning to use?
Asus Z97A usb 3.1 M/B, Intel i5--4690k, Nvidia Geforce GTX 1070, 16 GB ram.
I haven't made any plans for which cpu/mb to purchase since my system is running fine but I have read all the reports
from Microsoft about what hardware will and will not run with Win 11.
I am not in a hurry to rush into Win 11 with the added expense of new hardware.
Nick

Asus Z97A usb 3.1 M/B, Intel i5--4690k, Nvidia Geforce GTX 1070, 16 GB ram.
I haven't made any plans for which cpu/mb to purchase since my system is running fine but I have read all the reports
from Microsoft about what hardware will and will not run with Win 11.
I am not in a hurry to rush into Win 11 with the added expense of new hardware.
Nick
Well then if you're just directly use the same windows from your pc, make sure you're uninstall all the processors in device manager like this:
unknown.png

shutdown your pc, replace everything, plug the boot drive.