Question Steps to Recover a Corrupt USB HDD

accesscpu_

Reputable
May 7, 2019
I have a simple USB 3.0 Western Digital Passport drive (used for movies and videos for my media server). I noticed the transfer times were getting longer and longer. A few days ago, it went out, and Windows stop recognizing it. However, I know it's not completely dead, as I get a quick LED power light when I plug it up, and I hear the Windows 10 connection notice (but it does not appear in Windows Explorer or Device Manager). Also, if it's connected to the PC when I boot up, it will lock the system up and prevent start up. So signs point to some kind of corruption.

I've never had to recover a drive before, so I'm a bit inexperienced. Do I need hardware to connect it to to try and recover the data? Or can it all be done with software (since the connections are still good)?

Do I need hardware to connect it to to try and recover the data? Or can it all be done with software (since the connections are still good)?
Professional data recovery services.

Normally external drives can be removed from external enclosure and installed into pc internally.
This helps, if external enclosure electronics have failed.
Not possible for your particular drive. It has USB controller integrated into it.