[SOLVED] Stereo or surround 5.1/7.1 for gaming?

Aug 14, 2019
Hello,whats your opinion about this thread?Some people say that stereo has better audio quality but other people say that surround is more helpful with positioning even if u need to sacrifice the sound quality.I mostly play Fps games like Battlefield,Call of duty,Overwatch etc. but i cant decide what to use.I own a beyer dynamic dt 990 pro+soundblaster omni 5.1 external sound card.

Solution
For gaming, there is no doubt that the positional advantages of 5.1 or higher surround are unarguably the better choice IF you are able to leverage sound and distance well in your gaming AND if that is something that even MATTERS to you.

For me, for example, I could care less about it. I don't play competitively and my ears are not that discerning anymore anyhow, so a good stereo signal is perfectly fine for me. I use a 2.1 setup with a sub. I like it. If I was a competitive player or somebody who really cared about being able to judge position and distance through sound, then there is no way I'd choose to not have at least 5.1. Much might also matter whether or not your battlestation is even capable of having the speakers set up in a...
For gaming, there is no doubt that the positional advantages of 5.1 or higher surround are unarguably the better choice IF you are able to leverage sound and distance well in your gaming AND if that is something that even MATTERS to you.

For me, for example, I could care less about it. I don't play competitively and my ears are not that discerning anymore anyhow, so a good stereo signal is perfectly fine for me. I use a 2.1 setup with a sub. I like it. If I was a competitive player or somebody who really cared about being able to judge position and distance through sound, then there is no way I'd choose to not have at least 5.1. Much might also matter whether or not your battlestation is even capable of having the speakers set up in a way that will leverage that. If you have five speakers all sitting together within a short distance of each other, you might not even be able to TELL what is what based on position.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS