Steve Ballmer Already Gave Execs His Retirement Date

Status
Not open for further replies.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Good for Steve in that he can still capture the headlines with this "non-news". Execs say stuff like this all of the time and it is generally meaningless. Must be a slow day in the world of tech news (so far).

mobrocket

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2011
2018 hooray... i feel bad for whomever takes over then, cus they wont be inheriting the same company that ballmer got....

but then again, i guess it better to follow after ballmer instead of gates

cookoy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
Enthusiasm is one of the key ingredients for a great leader. It's inspiring to see a boss who puts in his 100% effort every time. But up to a point. Once a diligent group sees not much progress is being made with all their efforts, or worse, that their goals don't seem to make sense anymore, then you've got a problem. Overall i think SB is doing an excellent job. You win some, you lose some. What counts is at the end your winnings far exceed your losses.

billybobser

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
ledgend.

Don't see how you can criticise the guy. If you don't like Microsoft, he's a bit of a nutter and will provide mild amusement, conversely if you're not blinded by what your company told you to think, he's enthusiastic and doesn't talk hyperbolic bullshit.

"Developers, Developers, Developers".

They are most important, unless you have other companies develop ideas, then patent them.

G

"Nice to know retirement plans are based on his family, makes him seem more human somehow..."

I don't know. Considering he doesn't want to retire until after his youngest heads to college, it sounds like he doesn't want to spend time with his family.

No, you're right, that does make him human.

beardguy

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010
Sorry, but Steve Ballmer is about as uncool as they come. I'm not attacking his personal character or leadership skills (I'm sure he's a nice guy). But for marketing and the way people perceive Microsoft, they really need a new spokesperson.

Microsoft needs a big shift to happen if they want to stay relevant. They seem to have lost their identity. And as the quote suggests, I get the impression Microsoft is not sure what markets to focus it's attention on. They have pretty much failed in the phone and tablet arena.

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
"like McDonalds without Ronald", if its a comparison of one clown to another, perhaps.

I would rather McDonalds have quality food then a clown, in which case the analogy remains.

G

"IMO he has been doing a good job in microsoft"

Not according to shareholders. Their stock hasn't gone anywhere since Ballmer took the helm.

beardguy

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010
[citation][nom]lathe26[/nom]2018: the year Microsoft invokes its garbage collector.[/citation]

2018 Steve Ballmer goes out with a bang, brings back Clippy. :)

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
Gates heading Microsoft was a 'win' for all geeks out there who can not scrape up a date.
So that makes Ballmer the hero of all bald, middle aged, bad tempered bullies.

Sorry, Ballmer is no Lee Iacocca or Soichiro Honda. He's just an arrogant, sweaty guy in a powerful position.

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
It's a good time to short sell Microsoft. Then again, it's already taken such a beating from this incompetent clown, maybe it's too late.

It's easy to see Microsoft as just a company that plain sucks and does nothing right, and to assume that's just their corporate style. But, without Ballmer, they might actually do something good and have success outside of their monopolies, which are eroding.

He needs to go. Three years ago, not six years from now.

jackbling

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011
ms made 2.5b profit in 05

they pulled 5.8b profit in 2011

I'll never understand the hate for this guy, he is a ceo...not an engineer/developer.

Shin-san

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2006
[citation][nom]ta152h[/nom]It's a good time to short sell Microsoft. Then again, it's already taken such a beating from this incompetent clown, maybe it's too late. It's easy to see Microsoft as just a company that plain sucks and does nothing right, and to assume that's just their corporate style. But, without Ballmer, they might actually do something good and have success outside of their monopolies, which are eroding. He needs to go. Three years ago, not six years from now.[/citation]Actually, Microsoft makes a lot of money. They just had a net income of $5 billion for their last 3-month report. Microsoft also seems to be licensing out software and APIs a lot more, starting more down the road of the IBM model.

Also, it's a good time to sell off Microsoft stock simply because it's close to a peak in the stock market.

Shin-san

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2006
[citation][nom]billybobser[/nom]."Developers, Developers, Developers"[/citation]This is probably why companies are making Xbox 360 versions of games, even in countries like Japan where the game won't sell a lot locally. I have the feeling that making the 360 port more than compensates for the cost because of the tools, documentation, and support Microsoft tends to provide for third parties. It forced Sony to change their game.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
[citation][nom]jackbling[/nom]ms made 2.5b profit in 05they pulled 5.8b profit in 2011I'll never understand the hate for this guy, he is a ceo...not an engineer/developer.[/citation]

M$ makes profit not because their products are that good or their CEO is so wonderful.
They simply have a control over the market where you can not simply switch to a competitor.
Kinda like the oil companies. They can set pretty much any price they like and there isn't a damn thing -so far- you and I can do about it as we can not switch to an alternative.

And not being an engineer is not a valid excuse. a CEO should know more about the products than just how to sell them.

Status
Not open for further replies.