Steve Jobs Talks MSFT, Google, and Foxconn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ragnar-Kon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
Haha, love the part when Jobs says, "And we did something interested for Apple, we made it open-source." Made my lazy afternoon somewhat funny.

_Cubase_

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009
"Just because we're competing with someone doesn't mean we have to be rude." I'm sure the folks at Adobe would agree 100% with that. :/

touchdowntexas13

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
[citation][nom]_cubase_[/nom]"Just because we're competing with someone doesn't mean we have to be rude." I'm sure the folks at Adobe would agree 100% with that.[/citation]

Yeah adobe would probably disagree with that comment as of late. Microsoft should also really be disagreeing with that comment after all of the pc-bashing commercials apple let out of the gate.

False_Dmitry_II

Distinguished
[citation][nom]LORD_ORION[/nom]I think we'd all feel better about all of this sweatshop, suicide, Adobe flash and MSFT talk if Apple gave everyone a free iPad.[/citation]

Dude, I don't even want a free iPad...

kelemvor4

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]False_Dmitry_II[/nom]Dude, I don't even want a free iPad...[/citation]
I'd take one. There's a sucker with an ebay account born every minute, and they'd be bidding on it!

ginnai

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
Steve is a pompous jerk. Couching oneself in the sentiment of, "I was never in the competition, I don't do that" is an exceptionally weak minded copout. BAH Steve Jobs BAH.

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
"platform war with Microsoft" OS X is much better than Vista, I mean 7. Now flame me MS fanboys because I like OS X better than Winblows.

Computerrock1

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2009
^ I could care less, the mac OS has some very interesting and unique abilities and apps. Its the restrictions of the machine and the price for out of date tech. But that is what Hackintoshs are for right?

jamoise

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010
"Im a Mac" "and Im a PC" yeah, they are so not competing with Microsoft at all (sarcasm) I guess we are just supposed to ignore all those mac vs pc adds they were constantly showing. While I don't remember them ever naming microsoft, they obviously were talking primarily about them, as when they talked about virues, a PC is no more or less able to be infected than a mac, now.. osx vs windows vs linux, then you have a difference. the Advertisements probably did what they wanted though. Tricking the Uninformed....

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
You'd think Steve Jobs could afford a suit by now. He looks like a low-class jackass, and statements like my sex life is good does nothing to contradict that. What CEO talks like that?

Ironically, the Apple cattle somehow think they're high-class and above the hoi polloi, despite a CEO who dresses like a slob and talks like a degenerate.

jellico

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
I find it interesting that he would mention his sex life when, on several prior occasions, people on here have mentioned that they think he might be gay. It's almost like he deliberately pointed out he is heterosexual.

randomizer

Champion
[citation][nom]TA152H[/nom]You'd think Steve Jobs could afford a suit by now. He looks like a low-class jackass, and statements like my sex life is good does nothing to contradict that. What CEO talks like that?Ironically, the Apple cattle somehow think they're high-class and above the hoi polloi, despite a CEO who dresses like a slob and talks like a degenerate.[/citation]
You do realise that what he wears is part of his image? For him to wear a suit would not be "cool" and would make him look like another MS exec. I actually like both his and Jen-Hsun's deviation from the usual CEO stereotype, it's refreshing, although his actual sense of style is revolting.

Also, regardless of whether Apple is in a platform war with MS or not is irrelevant. They have a market which MS do not: mobile consumer electronics. MS can't compete there and that's where MS need to compete if they want to be significant in the future.

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
[citation][nom]randomizer[/nom]You do realise that what he wears is part of his image? For him to wear a suit would not be "cool" and would make him look like another MS exec. I actually like both his and Jen-Hsun's deviation from the usual CEO stereotype, it's refreshing, although his actual sense of style is revolting.Also, regardless of whether Apple is in a platform war with MS or not is irrelevant. They have a market which MS do not: mobile consumer electronics. MS can't compete there and that's where MS need to compete if they want to be significant in the future.[/citation]

You think Microsoft is the company that represents the suit? That's normal business attire for a CEO, even for consumer products.

Wearing a suit is a sign of respect - you are dressing so you do not offend the sensibilities of people around you. Dressing like a slob in crappy jeans comes off as you either have no sense, or you don't respect the people you are with enough to dress formally for them.

He looks like an ass-clown, not "hip". And then the weird reference to sex. That's also for image? They both point to him being a self-important degenerate.

j51

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2009
[citation][nom]liquidsnake718[/nom]The article states that it references foxconn, in the actual content, I dont think Foxconn was even mentioned.....[/citation]

If you checked the original live on Engadget..somebody has mentioned the Foxconn issue and Jobs did answered.

"6:41PM Kara: What about this Foxconn situation?
6:41PM Steve: We are on top of this. We look at everything at these companies. I can tell you a few things that we know. And we are all over this. Foxconn is not a sweatshop.
6:42PM Steve: It's a factory -- but my gosh, they have restaurants and movie theaters... but it's a factory. But they've had some suicides and attempted suicides -- and they have 400,000 people there. The rate is under what the US rate is, but it's still troubling.
6:43PM Steve: We had this in my hometown of Palo Alto, copy cat suicides. We're over there trying to understand this. It's a difficult situation.
6:43PM Steve: We're trying to understand this. We have people over there."

(http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/01/steve-jobs-live-from-d8/)

Abrahm

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2007
"'No, we want to make better products then them. … Just because we're competing with someone doesn't mean we have to be rude."

Poor Steve, you are failing at both.

Also, Google bought up Android back in 2005, 2 years before the iPhone was even announced. They didn't chose to compete with you, you just got your product to market first. Then they chose to make a better product.

randomizer

Champion
[citation][nom]TA152H[/nom]You think Microsoft is the company that represents the suit? That's normal business attire for a CEO, even for consumer products.[/citation]
Since when has Apple tried to be "normal"? It's precisely because they don't appear normal that people think it's "cool" to own Apple products. People don't like CEOs, therefore he has to look like he isn't one.

[citation][nom]TA152H[/nom]They both point to him being a self-important degenerate.[/citation]
That's your opinion. Clearly that isn't the opinion of the millions of people who worship him, which is the target audience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS