Steve Jobs Tells Student: ''Please Leave Us Alone''

Status
Not open for further replies.

sejin

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2010
Shes just one customer out of 300 million, why should Apple care what she has to say? This is just another example of why I don't like Apple.

tramit

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2009
She barked up the wrong tree. I hate journalists that tipsy on being close to being persistent when all they wanted was to be left alone like Brittney Spears. :p

Pretty bad PR on Apple's part.

Also, lol @ Apple being too busy with user problems to give a quick response to the student. Guess it's not all that the fanboys and girls make it out to be.

zoemayne

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2009
I hate apple but this is unreasonable + she sent her messages with a Blackberry!!! Apple has too many customers the CEO should not be dealing with this.

Another company that does not live up to the hype given to us by the fanboys and fangirls. Oh by the way you have a nice OS on a horrible platform that is not friendly to consumers and business when it comes to servicing hardware. Second I refuse to support any company with such practices and relations. I don't care what he needed to do he should have known the relations is essential to business and without it your margins will sink like a rust bucket in a sea of red.

backin5

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
One would think that's what PR departments are for.

One would think a CEO would be concerned about the PR department not doing its job.

Apparently, according to Apple, one shouldn't think so much and just buy their overpriced products...

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
She's an annoying, self-absorbed little gnat that got swatted. That's a better education for her than anything the media relations department could have said to her.

If she had approached it another way, she might have gotten a response. She thought she was going to fly like an Eagle, and her education was so important to everyone else, and as long as she kept demanding, she'd force them. Instead, she got shot down like a vulture.

Very refreshing.

mcastaneda68

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2009
Steve Jobs should have somebody to filter his email. I can't imagine Steve Jobs actually reading every email he gets on this iphone.

If he has, indeed, somebody to filter and forwarding this kind of emails, the person responding should be fired.

If it is Steve Jobs himself who responded "leave us alone", it is him who should be fired.

G

I bet she would have had better luck if her emails had been "Sent from my Iphone" instead of "sent via BlackBerry from T-mobile", but hey, I'm just jaded.

Benihana

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2009
I have to agree with Jobs here. If you can get a quote, great. But you can't always get one. In which case you as a GOOD JOURNALIST should have a backup plan to forgo the quote and continue on. A good journalist paints the picture they want with whatever limited resources (read: "quotes") they have. If they have none, so be it.

I guess we're getting spoiled by news of some large company responding to one lone customer's issues. That does not happen too frequently. Consider yourself unlucky that you aren't that one person that got positive attention from a company.

I think her point about not receiving a response is appropriate. Then again, if her "short" phone messages were as long as this email, then I too would put her aside to be answered last. You have to present your information the right way, and maybe she did, maybe she didn't. She tries to grab sympathy with her whole "Unfortunately, for a journalist in the professional world, lacking the answers they need on deadline day won't just cost them a grade; it could cost them their job."

That is true. But again I refer you to my point about being a good journalist.

+1 Jobs
-1 Student

Alathorne

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
Well, I think both of them could have handled their side better. She did come off snooty and self centered. He blew an opportunity to take the high road and gain some grass roots PR. Instead he came off snooty and arrogant. -1 for both.

popatim

Titan
Her answer is simple economics. Make the younger generation star wars fand and they will be starwars fans most of their life; buy star wars stuff, and pass that love onto their kids. Apple isn't interested in making their lives easier or better, they just want to sell stuff and at a nice profit margin.
Simple isn't it.

HavoCnMe

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2009
Either way,
The PR team at Apple is horrible due to the following fact:
the school's new practice of giving all incoming students an iPad.
If a University is handing out your newest most expensive product and you can't get back to a customer like that...I would jump ship and start talking to the other tablet makers. JMO

I'm sorry, but it's not Apple's job to reply to this student's voice message in order for that student to get good grades. That's not a business/manufacturer's responsibility. If you're calling Apple the day before your project is due, you deserve to fail the project.

Manage your time better. Or worst case, do like the Newspaper does and put in your article "Apple did not respond to our inquiries at the time of this article printing."

azcoyote

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2008
I think that based upon Steve's past willingness to respond to people, she could have gotten her quote by sending a simple respectful email to him directly.

As to her comments and generally rude behavior? Screw her. I would not have helped her either.

I never said that your goal should be to "help me get a good grade." Rather, I politely asked why your media relations team does not respond to emails, which consequently, decreases my chances of getting a good grade.

This is garbage. Even if Apple entirely ignored her, this student's grade has nothing to do with Apple. Whether this student is capable of writing a story/article worthy of publishing has nothing to do with whether they get a quote from Apple.

They're either a good journalist, or not a good journalist. Period. If you can't write a story without a quote from a source, you should take up something else... like painting.

Status
Not open for further replies.