Stick with AM3 for a bit longer or make the jump to a new socket?

TheRooster

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2011
Hello,i'm considering a CPU Upgrade,my Athlon X2 250 has held up for the last couple of years,but i'm itching for a new upgrade,but i'm not sure wheter to get a new CPU that can work with my AM3 Motherboard,or to get a whole new socket board+CPU,and if a new socket is in order,which one to get?

I'd be willing to spend 200-250 max for the new CPU (And board if needbe)

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
A lot depends on what your use is for the machine. Are you a gamer? Business use? Basic web-surfing? Home theater?
The AM3 platform is still a viable solution for most tasks. If you want to experience the fastest gaming with a large or multi monitor setup however, then I would suggest moving to a Sandy Bridge platform and fast graphics card(s).

amd955be5670

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2011
If you trust AMD's FX 2nd Gen to be good, then shift to AM3+, otherwise, it literally is a dead end, you could go a different path,
take a gen3 z68 motherboard, and then put an ivy bridge in it when you get the chance, or you could even take a z77 motherboard by waiting it out.

TheRooster

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2011
I Got OEM W7 Home Premium 64-bit back in August,so i guess i'm more or less screwed in that department,probably not one of my brightest moves,dishing out 190 for the retail didn't look very appealing,and i didn't exactly have a fun time trying to get the OEM to install over my XP...

Guess i'll be looking for a new AM3 CPU..Got any suggestion's? Probably could use a new PSU and Case aswell...

Edit: I'm mostly into casual gaming/browsing,sometimes i convert video's aswell.

Just call MS and tell them to release the key so that you can install Win 7 on a different computer.

With the release of Ivy Bridge so close (April), it doesn't really make sense to build around Sandy Bridge and then upgrade. Better to simply wait for IB CPUs to come out before upgrading.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
+1 ^
Jaquarskx is correct. I too have re-installed a OEM Win7 on a different board. It's usually a painless robo call to M$, and you need to answer a question or 2. Then type in some numbers and wait for verification. So, yes, try the existing OEM you have now before buying the new license. You'll probably be OK. Install the O/S and when you go to activate it, if the activation fails, you will be given the necessary instructions to make a license transfer. Sorry I made it sound so futile earlier...

loneninja

Distinguished
I've reinstalled Win XP and Win Vista with an OEM license multiple times before, it just requires calling Microsoft to give some numbers to a computer, tell it you've only got the license installed on one machine, and than input a set of numbers the computer gives you to activate. My point in saying this is I wouldn't let the OEM install of windows keep you from buying a new motherboard.

I would either pick up a cheap Athlon II/Phenom II quad core right now for an easy upgrade, or spend a bit more and switch to socket 1155 for a Sandy Bridge based I3/I5.