Question Sticker removed from M.2 SSD ?

Star2222

Reputable
May 4, 2021
Hi,
I bought the M.2 SSD linked below. In the main photo, you can see there is a sticker covering the chips. It does not say anything about not removing it so I removed it assuming it would improve thermal coupling with the heatsink. Is that ok?

Somewhere I read that the stickers contain copper and they usually have a warning to not remove. But there is no warning anywhere to not remove and when looking through it, in the areas where there are white characters so you can see through it, it just looks like paper (relatively transparent too).

Also what heatsink/heatspreader for the M.2 SSD mounted on the expansion case (I assume stick-on type) would be good for it?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Crucial-Plus-PCIe-Gen4-Internal/dp/B0BYWB6237/ref=sr_1_3?crid=R04BRHUCOR5E&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.2WV0FzX-EYxavltJjT2y2r-6_P5x35j0M4axXvjntgQltjWnPAikuva1Ya9mwIPXEka1FcfDL2SIoms_BfAS3CB5ekweKXsiF_tA-WJvC_EK2tpo0VF-zPo5S_kbBohtE2nTSFRO2sDTssvPLBTRpE_wjWL6l4qICTxZMudaD-DBiGDD92z-5c1He3J9vJOBen05TZhKFBLXzNZ7hAW1KMcJh_2ZeA8c-TAIscCKRyw.pMkZsdSao08yxqijQDmgxqu6d8h4i5eyWBKLf7_Zw2I&dib_tag=se&keywords=Crucial+P5+Plus+1TB+M.2+PCIe+Gen4&qid=1720626057&sprefix=crucial+p5+plus+1tb+m.2+pcie+gen4+,aps,111&sr=8-3

Thank you

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
It does not say anything about not removing it so I removed it assuming it would improve thermal coupling with the heatsink. Is that ok?
Universal knowledge, if you remove stickers on your products, that's akin to tampering with the product. In my books, that's voiding of your warranty on the drive.

You don't need to add any heatsink onto it provided your case has good airflow. Besides, you state improving thermal coupling with the heatsink, are you referring to a heatsink/heat spreader on your motherboard?

Make and model of your motherboard?

Reactions: Star2222

Star2222

Reputable
May 4, 2021
Thank you @Lutfij

No, I was not referring to the motherboard heatsing/heatspreader. I was thinking of sticking a heatsink/heat spreader on the M.2 SSD drive itself. Is that a good idea?

Somewhere I read that the stickers contain copper and they usually have a warning to not remove. But there is no warning anywhere to not remove and when looking through it, in the areas where there are white characters so you can see through it, it just looks like paper (relatively transparent too).

The motherboard is a MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK

so I removed it assuming it would improve thermal coupling with the heatsink. Is that ok?
Says it right there - "warranty void if removed".

Crucial-P3-Plus-1TB-Back.jpg

Randi Poling

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2014
Warranty will NOT be void with the sticker on the chips removed - The sticker on the back with the SN has to remain, obviously.

As for a heatsink? If your mobo doesnt have one, you can find a simple m.2 heatsink on amazon. Does it need a fan? No, passive cooling and the air from case fans is enough.

Reactions: Star2222
Hi,
I bought the M.2 drive linked below. In the main photo, you can see there is a sticker covering the chips. It does not say anything about not removing it so I removed it assuming it would improve thermal coupling with the heatsink. Is that ok?

Also what heatsink/heatspreader for the M.2 SSD mounted on the expansion case (I assume stick-on type) would be good for it?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Crucial-Plus-PCIe-Gen4-Internal/dp/B0BYWB6237/ref=sr_1_3?crid=R04BRHUCOR5E&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.2WV0FzX-EYxavltJjT2y2r-6_P5x35j0M4axXvjntgQltjWnPAikuva1Ya9mwIPXEka1FcfDL2SIoms_BfAS3CB5ekweKXsiF_tA-WJvC_EK2tpo0VF-zPo5S_kbBohtE2nTSFRO2sDTssvPLBTRpE_wjWL6l4qICTxZMudaD-DBiGDD92z-5c1He3J9vJOBen05TZhKFBLXzNZ7hAW1KMcJh_2ZeA8c-TAIscCKRyw.pMkZsdSao08yxqijQDmgxqu6d8h4i5eyWBKLf7_Zw2I&dib_tag=se&keywords=Crucial+P5+Plus+1TB+M.2+PCIe+Gen4&qid=1720626057&sprefix=crucial+p5+plus+1tb+m.2+pcie+gen4+,aps,111&sr=8-3

Thank you
Factory sticker is made of metal. it doesn't impede heat propagation and even helps when no other heat sink is present.