davidbenpark

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2014
I'm having an absolute nightmare trying to get 32gb of 3200mhz dual channel ram for my Ryzen 3700x and ASUS Tuf X570 Gaming-Plus Wifi that is also listed on the QVL. There are only 3 kits that fit the bill, but 2 of those are either not guaranteed for Ryzen 3rd gen or not available in my region:
  • CMD32GX4M2C3200C16 (Not listed as Ryzen compatible)
  • F4-3200C16D-32GTZA (Can't get it in my region)

The only one that meets all criteria is this one that has RGB I don't really want, and really tall heatspreaders that might affect clearances:
- CMW32GX4M2Z3200C16

The QVL was also last updated in July and is far from comprehensive where it comes to dual channel 32gb kits.

• Does anyone have any experience using other kits in this motherboard with Ryzen 3rd gen?
  • If I can't stick to QVL, what's the next best approach? Are there strategies to increase the chances of a good result with hitting max speed/using XMP?

For example, the Crucial Ballistix Sport AT 3200 MHz 32GB 16GBx2 CL16 kit (BLS2K16G4D32AEST) is specifically marketed as 'Ideal for ASUS® TUF GAMING ALLIANCE builders' and only came out after the QVL list was last updated. Am I still just playing the lottery by buying these?

Thanks a lot in advance.

You don't have to stick to QVL, There's no such memory made exclusively for Intel, AMD or Ryzen and certainly not for particular MB.
There's also no such thing as dual channel RAM any pair of 2 sticks will work in dual channel. For 32GB it's better to get 2 x 16GB as it uses only one channel of memory controller in the CPU.
Ideal RAM for this or that MB is just a gimmick.

davidbenpark

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2014
You don't have to stick to QVL, There's no such memory made exclusively for Intel, AMD or Ryzen and certainly not for particular MB.
There's also no such thing as dual channel RAM any pair of 2 sticks will work in dual channel. For 32GB it's better to get 2 x 16GB as it uses only one channel of memory controller in the CPU.
Ideal RAM for this or that MB is just a gimmick.
Thanks for the reply. A few folk have stated staying within the QVL is recommended, especially as I'm a bit of a novice. But I don't have much choice for my particular needs.

If I get a random kit (like the Crucial one I mentioned) is there anything to look for that will boost my chances of getting the optimum 3200MHz? Or is it all just total lottery?

Thanks for the reply. A few folk have stated staying within the QVL is recommended, especially as I'm a bit of a novice. But I don't have much choice for my particular needs.

If I get a random kit (like the Crucial one I mentioned) is there anything to look for that will boost my chances of getting the optimum 3200MHz? Or is it all just total lottery?
I wouldn't call it lottery because with lottery it's all geared for you to loose and here you are placing bets to loose.
If you put all QVL lists together all of them would work for all MBs with same chipset and CPU. Some MB manufacturers would choose one bunch of RAMs, others some other bunch and total result would be same.
Although it may seem that there are many RAM manufacturers, there's only a handful of actual chip makers for them which all of them use. Some of best chips, actual memory and control chops are made by Samsung and best of those are their b-die chips and can be found in many RAM sticks. Hynix is another one etc.
There may be some confusion with RAM of earlier generations but DDR3 and 4 are very standardized specially since Intel invented XMP. which helps BIOS to make best settings for best performance. SPD is another such standard.