[SOLVED] Sticky mouse (new)

Nov 16, 2020
Hi
So basically i got a new mouse [dm1 fps red] and it was sticky, on the red part so i kinda rubbed it with a sponge and it didnt help, now im stuck with it
it feels like the mouse is emitting glue to my hand
i tried everything, wipes, paper towel, sponge, isopropanol, which screwed me even more
Any idea, how to fix it?

Solution
What likely made the mouse sticky may have been a chemical reaction between the plastic and some cleaning solution that you used.

However, if the mouse was sticky to begin with then the plastic may have been defective or perhaps subjected to heat that led to the problem.

Also sometimes different plastics that come in contact with each other can sort of melt or soften. Was the mouse packaged in some sort of plastic bag or wrap?

Sight unseen and not being able to touch the mouse any suggestions would be speculative.

However, my thoughts - but you decide:

Start by taking a close look at the mouse. Determine if the stickiness is indeed some sort of coating or just some softening of plastic.

There are commercially available...
Nov 16, 2020
Truly new?

Where did you purchase the mouse? Vendor/source?

Perhaps the mouse is actually refurbished or used - sometimes that information is not quite obvious in the ads...

Defective or counterfeit are two other possibilities.
I got it in x-kom, a trusted Polish tech store, a lot of people buy stuff here including me and never have any problems.
It's 100% new, i can feel it, so i think it's just defective.
But i did something very stupid, instead of returning it i tried to fix it myself, now it's all scratched, and i can't even return it. It just happened idk why.
Anyway rn i only care about making it not sticky.

Ralston18

Titan
What likely made the mouse sticky may have been a chemical reaction between the plastic and some cleaning solution that you used.

However, if the mouse was sticky to begin with then the plastic may have been defective or perhaps subjected to heat that led to the problem.

Also sometimes different plastics that come in contact with each other can sort of melt or soften. Was the mouse packaged in some sort of plastic bag or wrap?

Sight unseen and not being able to touch the mouse any suggestions would be speculative.

However, my thoughts - but you decide:

Start by taking a close look at the mouse. Determine if the stickiness is indeed some sort of coating or just some softening of plastic.

There are commercially available products such as Goo-be-gone. That might help or might make things worse....

https://googone.com/howto/blog/does-goo-gone-work-on-that/

You might try buffing the mouse to remove or otherwise reduce the stickiness.

There are small powered tools that can be used for such tasks. Could help reduce the scratches as well.

If you know anyone who is a hobbyist, craftsman, electronics, etc., have that person take a look at the mouse.

He or she may have other ideas and maybe even the tools and stuff to help clean the mouse.

Solution
Nov 16, 2020
Thank you, i'm gonna try that,

The mouse was sticky from the box, and was packaged in foam, alcochol made things worse, so goo-be-gone itn't the best idea, especially when with shipping is 30$+ for me so the price of a viper mini on aliexpress.