Question Still crashing while idle or watching videos, even after changing the GPU ?

Mar 25, 2022
Hey! I've been having this issue for a couple of months now where my computer just locks up and crashes usually when doing low stress tasks like watching youtube videos or discord streams or anything similar. A few times I've had it crash while gaming but it's pretty rare. The crashing is completely random it can go days without doing it. I'll open up a video and sometimes the whole computer will just lock up and I can't do anything but hold the reset button.

Sometimes it will hang for a minute and just reboot on it's own and all of this started happening when I bought a new RTX 3060 Ti. I honestly thought it was faulty so I RMA'd it after I got some advice from the Microsoft forums. Once I sent it back I started using my old GTX cards. A 1060 and a 970 which I had no issues previously with and didn't have any crashes once I returned the RTX card. I got my refund through and decided to buy a completely different model and brand of 3060 Ti from another retailer and of course as soon as I got it in my system it started randomly crashing again but not as much as it did with the first one.

Now I have had a few new Nvidia drivers since then but all the mini dumps seem to point towards video card drivers. I have ran Memtest a bunch with no errors. Disk checks seem to be fine and I've updated my BIOS and stuff. Tried disabling a bunch of things like link state power management in power plan options and setting it to full performance. I've also tried re installing drivers in safe mode with DDU and wiped my PC with a fresh install of Windows multiple times and no to avail. I saw a thread on reddit that this was an issue with 30 series cards that was apparently addressed a while back with driver updates and it seems like people are still running in to the same problems.

Everyone in this thread basically has the same issue as me and I'm surprised no one has found a fix for it View: https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/nsgtpz/computer_freezing_while_watching_youtube/hp9ozqe/?context=3

Links to my one drive with recent mini dump files from a few of the crashes if anyone can make sense of them. I honestly appreciate any time and help anyone can give me. I've been trying to sort this for weeks but I have no idea what to do.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AhlNoV-5slVBkRFWZdVisi0bVFI5?e=v7Tb2Z
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AhlNoV-5slVBkRLqKJCsQtoy8z3u?e=UhAHhn

My PC specs are:

Motherboard: Asus Prime z370-p ii
Intel Core i7 8700K OC'd at 4.8ghz
16GB Corsair RAM 3000Mhz XMP profile
Samsung Evo 860 500GB SSD
ASUS RTX 3060 Ti Dual fan OC version

gardenman

Splendid
Hi, I ran the dump files through the debugger and got the following information: https://jsfiddle.net/cap82950/show This link is for anyone wanting to help. You do not have to view it. It is safe to "run the fiddle" as the page asks.
File information:032622-4343-01.dmp (Mar 25 2022 - 20:38:25)
Bugcheck:DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION (133)
Driver warnings:*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for ntoskrnl.exe
Probably caused by:ntoskrnl.wrong.symbols.exe (Process running at time of crash: ?)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 3 Hour(s), 14 Min(s), and 38 Sec(s)

File information:032122-6500-01.dmp (Mar 21 2022 - 12:26:19)
Bugcheck:VIDEO_TDR_ERROR (116)
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for dxgkrnl.sys
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for nvlddmkm.sys
Probably caused by:ntoskrnl.wrong.symbols.exe (Process running at time of crash: ?)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 2 Hour(s), 13 Min(s), and 36 Sec(s)
Comment: The GPU tweaking driver "iomap64.sys" was found on your system. (AI Suite or GPU Tweak 2 or Armoury Crate)

Comment: The dumps appear to be partially corrupt.

Possible Motherboard page: https://www.asus.com/Motherboards-Components/Motherboards/PRIME/PRIME-Z370-P-II/
The ASUS site quit working for me. You are using BIOS version 3004. There could be an update.

This information can be used by others to help you. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

Reactions: SlightlyMorbid

Colif

Win 11 Master
march 21 were GPU. It mentions both DirectX and Nvidia drivers

March 25 bsod is seemingly impossible as if ntoskrnl was corrupt, windows shouldn't work. It is the windows kernel, very little happens in windows without it.

right click start button

choose powershell (admin)

copy/paste this command into window:

Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth
and press enter

Then type SFC /scannow
and press enter

First command repairs the files SFC uses to clean files, and SFC fixes system files

SFC = System File Checker. First command runs DISM - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/what-is-dism?view=windows-11

He is on latest BIOS version.

remove the overclocks until we have at least fixed the problem

Mar 25, 2022
Comment: The GPU tweaking driver "iomap64.sys" was found on your system. (AI Suite or GPU Tweak 2 or Armoury Crate) Comment: The dumps appear to be partially corrupt. Possible Motherboard page: [URL said:
[/URL]
The ASUS site quit working for me. You are using BIOS version 3004. There could be an update.

This information can be used by others to help you. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

Hey I did install ASUS GPU Tweak II to monitor the GPU and change the fan settings to have them constantly running as these RTX cards disable the fans until it gets much hotter. I could try uninstalling it if you think that would help. I recently updated the motherboards BIOS. Version 3004 is the latest version adding Win 11 support.

Mar 25, 2022
march 21 were GPU. It mentions both DirectX and Nvidia drivers

March 25 bsod is seemingly impossible as if ntoskrnl was corrupt, windows shouldn't work. It is the windows kernel, very little happens in windows without it.

right click start button

choose powershell (admin)

copy/paste this command into window:

Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth
and press enter

Then type SFC /scannow
and press enter

First command repairs the files SFC uses to clean files, and SFC fixes system files

SFC = System File Checker. First command runs DISM - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/what-is-dism?view=windows-11

He is on latest BIOS version.

remove the overclocks until we have at least fixed the problem
Cheers for the reply I will try this now. Thank you so much for trying to help.

Mar 25, 2022
I ran those commands and came back with these results. I've also uninstalled ASUS GPU Tweak II and see if that helps. The crashes are completely random so it could be a while before I reply back with any more crashing reports. Cheers.

Windows PowerShell
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
Install the latest PowerShell for new features and improvements! https://aka.ms/PSWindows PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth

Path :
Online : True
ImageHealthState : Healthy
RestartNeeded : False

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> SFC /scannow

Beginning system scan. This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
Verification 100% complete.

Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.
PS C:\WINDOWS\system32>

gardenman

Splendid
I ran the dump file through the debugger and got the following information: https://jsfiddle.net/d1g6j80u/show This link is for anyone wanting to help. You do not have to view it. It is safe to "run the fiddle" as the page asks.

File information:040322-6578-01.dmp (Apr 3 2022 - 11:03:19)
Bugcheck:DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION (133)
Probably caused by:? (Process running at time of crash: ?
Uptime:0 Day(s), 2 Hour(s), 50 Min(s), and 58 Sec(s)

Comment: The dump appears to be corrupt.

Colif

Win 11 Master
so when you replaced PSU you used the new cables that came with it? What did you end up getting?

WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for ntoskrnl.exe
normally the cause of the crash is listed after the warning... except. ntoskrnl is part of the windows kernel and is normally victim of crashes. not causes.

results of that dump are ... interesting

are you still overclocked? I would remove it until we figure out cause

Motherboard: Asus Prime z370-p ii
Intel Core i7 8700K OC'd at 4.8ghz
16GB Corsair RAM 3000Mhz XMP profile
Samsung Evo 860 500GB SSD
ASUS RTX 3060 Ti Dual fan OC version

i just noticed 1st dumps also had ntoskrnl as blame.

yet windows works and sfc/dism don't see a problem...

run command prompt (admin)
type chkdsk c: /f and press enter
2 paragraphs will pop up, agree to running it at startup
restart PC and let chkdsk run.

install Magician and run diagnostics scans on ssd - https://semiconductor.samsung.com/consumer-storage/support/tools/

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2022
so when you replaced PSU you used the new cables that came with it? What did you end up getting?

normally the cause of the crash is listed after the warning... except. ntoskrnl is part of the windows kernel and is normally victim of crashes. not causes.

results of that dump are ... interesting

are you still overclocked? I would remove it until we figure out cause

i just noticed 1st dumps also had ntoskrnl as blame.

yet windows works and sfc/dism don't see a problem...

run command prompt (admin)
type chkdsk c: /f and press enter
2 paragraphs will pop up, agree to running it at startup
restart PC and let chkdsk run.

install Magician and run diagnostics scans on ssd - https://semiconductor.samsung.com/consumer-storage/support/tools/
Hey,

As for the PSU I have not replaced it as of yet just because I can't afford to pick one up right now. It will be an option if nothing else here gets to the bottom of it.

I forgot to disable the overclock so I have done that now by resetting my BIOS to default settings. So it's sitting at 3.7Ghz stock speeds. Intel turbo boost is enabled by default though, with speed stepping. Will that be an issue or should I disable Turbo boost as well? I'll need to wait and see if more crashes occur so sorry if I take some time to reply to the post. My bad on that though I should have done that when you recommended sooner.

I ran the chkdsk command and I looked at event viewer to see the results and it came back with..

"Windows has scanned the file system and found no problems.
No further action is required."

I also installed Samsung Magician and it said drive health is good and diagnostic scan found no problems. I ran a SMART scan for over an hour. I don't think it idicated any problems.

GMYPp9D.png
omzvmVH.png

Colif

Win 11 Master
turbo boost is fine since its a stock setting.

drives look fine.

PSU could still be cause if its still 10 years old.

Hey there Scallywops, I had a similar problem a while ago, random black screens and video_tdr_error on top of the memory dump stack.
I read the thread and since it didn't mention hardware acceleration I might as well mention it just in case, just bare in mind I'm no expert.
According to some threads on the NVidia forums the RTX30xx have some issues with power management, when a software tries to use hardware acceleration the power consumption lowers for that and somehow can't go back to where it was before and crashes.
What worked for me was:
  • Turn Hardware Acceleration OFF on everything you use, Discord, Steam, Battle.net, browsers, etc (you set that in each individual software);
  • Turn off GPU Scheduling (available on the window s graphics configuration, needs most recent windows version);
  • Make sure your driver is set for maximum performance (NVidia control center, power management);
  • Change the windows power plan to high performance.
These configurations worked for me but it may not work for you, I hope it helped though.
link
see if that helps

Mar 25, 2022
turbo boost is fine since its a stock setting.

drives look fine.

PSU could still be cause if its still 10 years old.

link
see if that helps
I did actually see some people talking about this but I only tried turning it off in Windows. I will try turning it off on everything and report back if I have any more crashing. I'll then probably pick up a PSU if all else fails. Thank you for lending me your time to help me Colif it's really appreciated.

gardenman

Splendid
I ran the dump file through the debugger and got the following information: https://jsfiddle.net/e7u8o14a/show This link is for anyone wanting to help. You do not have to view it. It is safe to "run the fiddle" as the page asks.

File information:041522-4843-01.dmp (Apr 15 2022 - 10:50:39)
Bugcheck:VIDEO_TDR_ERROR (116)
Driver warnings:*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for nvlddmkm.sys
Probably caused by:nvlddmkm.sys (Process running at time of crash: System)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 21 Hour(s), 56 Min(s), and 48 Sec(s)

Colif

Win 11 Master
Once I sent it back I started using my old GTX cards. A 1060 and a 970 which I had no issues previously with and didn't have any crashes once I returned the RTX card. I got my refund through and decided to buy a completely different model and brand of 3060 Ti from another retailer and of course as soon as I got it in my system it started randomly crashing again but not as much as it did with the first one.
so is it the cards or is it the PSU?

970 consumes about 170 watts in games
1060 consumes 190 watts
3060TI consumes 200 watts.

Not a massive difference, wouldn't think it would cause difference.

i would get PC tested by a repair shop, they can swap in a PSU and see if you still get TDR errors. Can also swap GPU into another PC and see if it causes errors.

Mar 25, 2022
so is it the cards or is it the PSU?

970 consumes about 170 watts in games
1060 consumes 190 watts
3060TI consumes 200 watts.

Not a massive difference, wouldn't think it would cause difference.

i would get PC tested by a repair shop, they can swap in a PSU and see if you still get TDR errors. Can also swap GPU into another PC and see if it causes errors.
That's the weird thing I never get crashing when playing games. It only ever happens when I'm idle watching videos. I don't have a computer repair store close to me so I'll have to bite the bullet and buy a new PSU hoping that will solve the problem.

TRENDING THREADS