still dont no what to do with upgrading.

domjam

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2014
iv been thinking about this for a while now.. and im still unsure what to do. im currently on an i5 3570k,corsiarh100iv2,sabertooth z77 chipset,16gbs of DDR3 corsair vengance 1600mhz, Inno3d gtx 1080 256g samsung evo SSD running windows 10 and 2 wdb drives and use a samsung 4k tv as a display

i get odd random stutters in games even at 1080p on some titles like elderscrolls online. iv seen my cpu % is bang on 100 when it happens yet my cpu is mid 40s-50s and gpu is around the same. i want to get rid of this as its very anoing.. im no expert but i think its down to my old motherbord,cpu and ram. its over 5 years or so and is the only remaining parts in my pc that i have no changed. last year the original power supply i had for the system went bad and i replaced that with a new evga 850watt..but i could be wrong.
so i was either going to go with a z270 chipset 16gbs of 3200mhz ram and a i7 7700k or a ryzen 1700 as a whole new system. or sli 1080 or just get a 1080ti.. but i dunno what to do. i would be wanting to game at 4k. hoping the community can give some advise.

Nitrobit45

Prominent
Apr 9, 2017
Hey Domjam,

I'd recommend your first option. Upgrading your motherboard, RAM and CPU will make your machine alot faster, compared to now and compare to GTX 1080 SLI.

The RAM btw, doesn't need to have this high of a frequency. From what I heard, everything above 2666 MHz doesn't bring a noticeable performance boost.

If you have the needed budget for your first option, go for it and enjoy gaming without ever (for the next few years) having to worry about stuttering again.

Greetings, Nitrobit

You could try dropping in an i7 3770, as a more cost effective upgrade. It wouldn't perform like a 7700K but it would also only cost something like 1/3 as much overall.

Between 7700K and Ryzen 1700, that's a tough call. The 7700K will deliver more frames today and AM4 is buggy and full of issues right now, but the 1700 is a solid CPU that probably has a longer effective life, and it seems you hold onto your hardware.

A few review sites have tested the 1080 Ti and come to the conclusion that there's little practical difference between it and the normal 1080 even at 4K, because the GPU is mostly going to sit idle waiting on the CPU anyway, even with the best CPUs. Adding a second 1080 is the same. There are a handful of titles where this isn't the case, but that's an awful lot of money to throw after very little benefit.

domjam

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2014

thanks for replying. do you have any links to benchmarks showing the dif between 2666 and higher memory with the i7700k? also out of z270 motherboards. i was considering either then asus tuff mark1 or the asus rog formula

For motherboards, neither. There's very little difference between a $300 board and a $100 board. You're mostly going to get an extra 100mhz (2%) clockspeed tops, some more USB ports and some extra colored plastic for your money when compared with an entry level board.

Regarding memory scaling, see here: http://techreport.com/review/31179/intel-core-i7-7700k-kaby-lake-cpu-reviewed

armaIIIfps.png

armaIIIpercentile.png

Not all games will see benefits.

domjam

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2014
i mainly like those 2 boards for the way they look and there overclocking ablity and rgb lighting but the rog formula has a higher audio quality..which is something that might be worth it as audio is something i need as i do alot of recording. looks like 3000mhz is the sweet spot.