[SOLVED] still good and will it work? Extreme6

danielmc24

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2015
What's up everyone, so I'm building a new gaming pc. i know GPUs are going to be hard to come by but I'm still going to try. To save money im go to use parts from my current build. i want to get a 3080 or 3070. but my concern is if my motherboard is ok to use. Its a ASRock Z97 Extreme6 ATX LGA1150. So is it still capable of handling new parts like the 3080? If i need to get a new board i will. Just wanted to save a little $$.

Solution
My main goal is 4k 30-60 fps. I realize the chances of me getting ultra setting is going to be impossible unless I do a complete build. But I'm still on a 970 amd a i5-4460 so anything will be better. Any suggestions on a cpu that would be best for it? And sorry I'm still new to building. How would it hold me back like load time or just be glitchy?
For a Z97 motherboard you want a compatible i7. The i7’s of this era at least have 8 threads compared to the i5’s 4, modern AAA games really suffer on 4 threads. Therefore a 4770/4790/4770k/4790k are the best choice, however be careful as they are usually very overpriced for the level of performance they deliver. Unless you can pick one up really cheap it’s hard to recommend...
What are the parts from your current build?
To answer your question, modern graphics cards will work plugged into pcie x 16 slots going back a long time. The pcie speeds mean little until you get into 3090 class graphics cards, and even then the difference is in low single digit performance differences.
What you will need is a quality psu to support the card.

danielmc24

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2015
It can be used. If gaming at 4K it may work reasonably well but at lower resolutions any cpu that works on that motherboard is going to significantly hold back performance.
My main goal is 4k 30-60 fps. I realize the chances of me getting ultra setting is going to be impossible unless I do a complete build. But I'm still on a 970 amd a i5-4460 so anything will be better. Any suggestions on a cpu that would be best for it? And sorry I'm still new to building. How would it hold me back like load time or just be glitchy?

danielmc24

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2015
What are the parts from your current build?
To answer your question, modern graphics cards will work plugged into pcie x 16 slots going back a long time. The pcie speeds mean little until you get into 3090 class graphics cards, and even then the difference is in low single digit performance differences.
What you will need is a quality psu to support the card.
i havnt picked a cpu yet still trying to find the best one for the board and im looking at a 750w so it will get the right amount of power.

For a Z97 motherboard you want a compatible i7. The i7’s of this era at least have 8 threads compared to the i5’s 4, modern AAA games really suffer on 4 threads. Therefore a 4770/4790/4770k/4790k are the best choice, however be careful as they are usually very overpriced for the level of performance they deliver. Unless you can pick one up really cheap it’s hard to recommend investing in an obsolete cpu.

Solution