Still Life In Older AMD Athlon Processor?

May 14, 2018
Hey guys

Found an old AMD Athlon ii x3 460 in my attic attached to an old gigabyte mobo.

I use my PS4 mostly for bigger titles so would be looking to use this processor in a low end build for “other” titles. (Fortnite perhaps, emulations, cs:go, maybe battlefield etc)

Is there still life in an old girl like this?

What GpU could I top out at?

Solution
That could be nice arcade emulation box if the PC is almost complete, you could probably go as far as a 1050/ti through probably not really worth more than going to a GT 1030 or even better if you can pick up a nice older user GPU (assuming you have decent PSU).

stdragon

Admirable
Can you upgrade? Sure. Should you? Well, that depends on what kind of gaming you wish to do. If you're looking to play old games, all you need is a GPU upgrade. Depending on the MB, a 1030 or 1050 should suffice for games circa 2008 - 2012.

If you're looking into running more advanced games, you're probably looking at needing a new PSU for the GPU, and more RAM. At some point, it might be looking better to just build a new rig.

ikaz

Distinguished
That could be nice arcade emulation box if the PC is almost complete, you could probably go as far as a 1050/ti through probably not really worth more than going to a GT 1030 or even better if you can pick up a nice older user GPU (assuming you have decent PSU).

Solution

TRENDING THREADS