Still Need Help

lillazy23

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2001
ok i just built the pc when i press power nothing happens, only fans turn and the light on the HD is on.

Heres my components

AMD 1.2 tbird
ABIT KT7A motherboard
256mb Crucial pc133 ram
Coolermaster 6h11 fan
Elsa Gladiac Geforce2 GTS
Quantum 40gig 7200 ata100
Sound Blaster X Gamer
Creative 52x cdrom

I tried switching IDE cables, switched ram slots, I took out all cards and inserted back in. I took out fan and cpu and put it back in, still no luck. I took out all cards and tried turning it on with only vga card and HD still same thing. I think i messed up my cpu or blew it. Anybody know what the problem is????? =[

G

That's pretty hard to diagnose with no other info. If your processor was toast you'd get that problem, but I wouldn't jump to conclusions. The best solution to test this is to try the processor in someone elses computer. You had the heatsink on the processor when you pluged in the MB power right? I don't have ANY experience doing that. :) If your ATX switch is "on" it will turn the whole thing on.

lillazy23

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2001
yes heatsink was on when i first turned on computer. I dont know anybody that has AMD machine so i can test on theirs. Im thinking about exchanging it, but they will charge me $35 if the product isnt defected and they will send it back. So i dont know what to do i have 30 days to exchange.

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
<b>when i press power nothing happens, only fans turn and the light on the HD is on. </b>
Check to see it's not short to the case (very likely). Take the mobo out of case, boot it uses only video card and RAM.
Another thing, I see you have Abit KT7A. Did you try to press <b>INSERT</b> key when booting (sometimes you have to try 3 or 4 times in order to get it POSTS _ The reason is to <b>RESET</b> to CPU's normal parameter and mostly it happens when overclocking).

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by khha4113 on 02/10/01 05:43 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

lillazy23

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2001
tried booting with video card and ram nothing happened again, only fans turn. About the Insert key do i press that even though the monitor doesnt turn on?