Still worth it? 2x970 or 1x980?

Tormidal

Honorable
Jul 6, 2013
After all this heat about the 3.5GBs + 0.5GBs on the 970/980....

I play on a single 1080p monitor. Ill have two more eventually, but I likely wont play Surround...much, if at all.

Id like to play on Ultra. At least 60fps on all games, if possible.

Im willing to spend up to $800 on the GPU setup, and im torn between two 970s or one 980 at this point.

Which setup would give me the best performance across the board, or is it worth it to wait for the 8GB version of the cards, or until NVIDIA fixes the access speed of the 0.5GBs?

Solution
Yeah, IMO, the 980 is your best bet and you can always SLI it later should you find it necessary. The 970 could have issues later on when you need over 3.5gb vram.

Tormidal

Honorable
Jul 6, 2013

The aim of the PC build was overkill, to ensure I wouldn't need to change anything out for a minimum of 2-3 years.
Ill also be doing video editing/rendering, and 3D modelling. :)

The issue you are referring to only affects the 970's, as they are a 980 with disabled parts and that changes how the 970 accesses its memory.

I doubt nVidia will be doing anything about the issue anytime soon as they don't see it as a problem.

Except for a redesign, I don't see how they can fix this, as usually when they disable parts, it's because those were found to have a defect from the manufacturing process. Enabling those parts could lead to instabilities.

That being said, if you plan on SLI later and want to run higher resolutions, your best bet is the 980. I wouldn't count on a "fix" for the 970. It's more likely that they would change the labeling on the boxes and advertisements than redesigning it.

Tormidal

Honorable
Jul 6, 2013

So 980 for now, SLI later if needed?

I dont know if you read the entirety of the first post; but a Titan Z is a little too much for the budget im putting for the GPU setup.
I was also more concerned with something that would play games, the video editing is just a side hobby. That was part of the reason I asked if it wouldve been worth waiting for the 8Gb version of the 970/980.

On an side note, I've already got 32Gb of 3000Mhz RAM. I intend to upgrade it to 64Gb by the end of the year.