Stock AMD Ryzen 5 cooler wouldn't install; need an alternative

vgk

Prominent
Dec 6, 2017
Relevant hardware (may elaborate further if necessary):
Motherboard: MSI - B350M PRO-VD PLUS Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard
CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor with stock cooler
Case: Fractal Design - Focus G Mini (Black) MicroATX Mini Tower Case

Anyway, I ordered the parts for a gaming PC a while back and I finally got around to building it. The CPU slotted nicely into the motherboard, but the cooler that came with it absolutely refused to cooperate. The screws wouldn't reach the motherboard, and when I screwed one in even a little bit, the whole cooler would lean toward that side, making it impossible to screw in diagonal screw. I could only BARELY get that screw out of the hole's reach; I was afraid applying any more pressure would destroy SOMETHING. I've already looked up videos to resolve the problem, but none of the ones I watched seemed to have this particular problem. Reading around suggested that this was a common manufacturing problem or something, so I'm planning to replace that cooler. My question: is this a viable alternative to the stock cooler I have, all things considered? And if not, what cooler would be?

RCFProd

Expert
Ambassador
Sounds like you have the same issue as this guy:
https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/7hjrac/im_panicking_and_so_worried_while_trying_to/

Are you missing the backplate?

''
[–]zouxlol 215 punten 2 dagen geleden
You still need to install the back plate which has female screw threads for your motherboard. This should've came with your motherboard. Some come with the cooler.''

https://i.imgur.com/RHLyhoU.png

NOt understanding how any am4 board can come without a backplate installed.
Every board ive seen comes prefitted with the backplate & with am3+ compatible arm mountings.

Its far easier (necessary infact id say) to fit the stock ryzen cooler with the board lying flat before you fit it in the case.

It is very very tight & you do need to apply a fair bit of downward pressure to get an initial bite on the screws.

Ive found 2 turn top left,2 turn bottom right,2 turns top right,2 turn bottom left the way to go - then repeat the sequence until its all tight.

You did lift the cpu lever before placing cpu then lock it down again once the cpu is in ??

vgk

Prominent
Dec 6, 2017

That's definitely not the problem. I even tried pushing up the backplate a little bit thinking that might close the distance, and it didn't work. Also, I lowered the CPU lever before trying to install the cooler, all before I ever put anything in the case.

I think I'm going to go with the Cryorig cooler as a replacement.

vgk

Prominent
Dec 6, 2017
The Cryorig cooler has arrived, and I've encountered yet another problem: the backplate won't install. Lining it up so two diagonal corners lay over their holes produces a very noticeable angle, and trying to keep the whole plate straight only gets one hole covered. The two on the opposite side are off by half a hole length (I can see half the hole not being covered), and the one on the same side doesn't appear to be covered at all. I can't use the original motherboard's backplate, either, because then the screws won't fit in. I also can't screw the Cryorig screws into that backplate (too big) or jerry-rig something between the original screws and the Cryorig screw pillars (the screws would be too short to go all the way through).