[SOLVED] Stock Cooler for Ryzen 5 3600 at 40°C?

Jun 15, 2020
Hello, I am building my first PC with a Ryzen 5 3600. I live in India and the room temperature here in summers easily reaches 40-45°C (104-113°F).
Should I buy an aftermarket cooler if I don't plan on overclocking it?
Thanks for your help in advance!

Edit: My case has 3 intake fans and one exhaust fan, in a front-to-rear combination. And, if necessary, I can add 2 more fans at the top.

Last edited:
Solution
Hello, I am building my first PC with a Ryzen 5 3600. I live in India and the room temperature here in summers easily reaches 40-45°C (104-113°F).

Edit: My case has 3 intake fans and one exhaust fan, in a front-to-rear combination. And, if necessary, I can add 2 more fans at the top.

Its Very simple i also live in india and in summer the stock wraith stealth cooler will make your cpu run hot.

Irrespective what what the cabinet configuration we have the cpu gonna run hot.

So here it is mine stock cooler temp were : 55+ and load in games : 85+ ( but the throttle temp is 95 so you are ok even in Stock fan, but for better CPU...

Is it at idle or full load ?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Ryzens are not Intel, they don't work the same way. At idle Intel keeps all its cores active, so any background tasks are split up. This means any one core is hottest, but has very limited loads and consequently a low idle temp. Ryzens put all core except one to sleep, only keeping the one core active, so the entire load of background tasks in on one single core concentrated. This means that's the only hot core, but reads an elevated temp.

Idle temps respond to ambient temps. For an aircooler or aio set to exhaust, the ambient air is the inside of the case, which usually runs @ 6-8°C hotter than outside case temps. So at idle, fully expect it to see idle temps in the high 40's to low 50's with spikes into the 60's as processes and services are started up. Just remember, it's only 1 active core, not the entire cpu that's reading that temp. All the other cores will be at barely above whatever the ambient temp is.

Load temps are different, they are more responsive to the actual load the cpu sees, the voltages/current it's using and the efficiency of the cooler.

Reactions: Orbital Spider

coolraveen

Commendable
May 26, 2020

Its Very simple i also live in india and in summer the stock wraith stealth cooler will make your cpu run hot.

So here it is mine stock cooler temp were : 55+ and load in games : 85+ ( but the throttle temp is 95 so you are ok even in Stock fan, but for better CPU life its better you change to after market tower air cooler)

Air coolers if you are not overclocking then buy these : Antec A400, gammaxx 400, Hyper 212 evo.

So go ahead and buy yourself a custom cooler. right now idle temp is 41 and gaming temp is 75 max.

Solution

coolraveen

Commendable
May 26, 2020

And install Ryzen master to monitor the CPU temperature, thats accurate

D

Deleted member 2720853

How about telling us the chassis first before jumping to conclusions and buying an aftermarket cooler? The cooler will be next to useless if your chassis has poor ventilation.

Reactions: Phaaze88
Jun 15, 2020
How about telling us the chassis first before jumping to conclusions and buying an aftermarket cooler? The cooler will be next to useless if your chassis has poor ventilation.
I am an amateur, so I might be wrong. I think my case has decent airflow. It has a mesh at the front and the top, and the back panel has some little ventilation slits as well.

Jun 15, 2020

So here it is mine stock cooler temp were : 55+ and load in games : 85+ ( but the throttle temp is 95 so you are ok even in Stock fan, but for better CPU life its better you change to after market tower air cooler)

Air coolers if you are not overclocking then buy these : Antec A400, gammaxx 400, Hyper 212 evo.

So go ahead and buy yourself a custom cooler. right now idle temp is 41 and gaming temp is 75 max.
Thanks a lot! I would surely prefer to have a better CPU life than shaving a few bucks off my budget.

LOL, I do have one. But I am a content creator, and I prefer to shut everything off before recording. I can bear the heat, but I wasn't sure if my CPU would.
Yeah, if you're recording audio and want to limit background noise, an aftermarket cooler should help with that too, since the larger 120mm fan on those tower coolers should be able to spin slower to achieve a given level of cooling, making it quieter.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
With that case, add 1 more fan. On the top rearmost as exhaust. Use cardboard or plastic, anything really, to block off the rest of the top mesh.

You are looking to create a tube with a fan at both ends, what goes in, must come out, and takes any heat with it. If you leave the top mesh open, it's like punching a giant hole in the tube, right near the rear fan. Guess where the rear fan will get a good chunk of its air. Not the case, not the front fans, but that giant hole. Which doesn't remove much heat out of the case.

Putting a top fan up front as exhaust as well just starves any aftermarket tower coolers, it pulls out any air fed from the front fans, so is detrimental. Won't affect an area fan, like the stock cooler, as that fan broadcasts heat in all directions.

With high ambient heat situations like yours, airflow patterns and characteristics are very important, having the wrong fan on the wrong curve in the wrong place will affect more than just cpu temps, there's also gpu temps, m.2 drive temps, Sata chipset temps, pcie hub temps etc, so care must be taken to keep the pc running cool and right, not just dumping everything in favor of a few °C on the cpu.

Jun 15, 2020
With that case, add 1 more fan. On the top rearmost as exhaust. Use cardboard or plastic, anything really, to block off the rest of the top mesh.

You are looking to create a tube with a fan at both ends, what goes in, must come out, and takes any heat with it. If you leave the top mesh open, it's like punching a giant hole in the tube, right near the rear fan. Guess where the rear fan will get a good chunk of its air. Not the case, not the front fans, but that giant hole. Which doesn't remove much heat out of the case.

Putting a top fan up front as exhaust as well just starves any aftermarket tower coolers, it pulls out any air fed from the front fans, so is detrimental. Won't affect an area fan, like the stock cooler, as that fan broadcasts heat in all directions.

With high ambient heat situations like yours, airflow patterns and characteristics are very important, having the wrong fan on the wrong curve in the wrong place will affect more than just cpu temps, there's also gpu temps, m.2 drive temps, Sata chipset temps, pcie hub temps etc, so care must be taken to keep the pc running cool and right, not just dumping everything in favor of a few °C on the cpu.
Wow! Thanks for this. I didn't even think how a single fan affects everything!

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Linus tech did a study years ago. They took a (then) standard case with an average setup and tested fan setups vs cpu temps under Prime95. Single rear exhaust, 90°C. Single intake, 85°C. Single intake/rear 75°C. Dual combinations with single opposite 72°C, both dual 70°C, triples 70°C etc.

So yes, a single fan can make a large difference, it depends entirely which fan and where.

A fan works by moving a pitched blade through air. The pitch creates a low pressure area behind it, the byproduct being the air pushed outwards by the front edge. The faster a blade moves, the stronger the low pressure area will be. But it's air, so the low pressure area is an area, no direction and its strongest at the point closest to the fan.

A rear exhaust closest source of fresh air is the giant hole in the top of the case being pushed in at 14.7 lbs per inch². Definitely a stronger source than what's given from the intakes a foot away.

If you put a top-rear exhaust, you add to the low pressure, making it stronger still, and larger in volume, but mostly only if you isolate it. If there's a fan port open at top-front/middle, it's going to be converted into an intake by the exhaust fans.

Think about a McDonald's straw. You suck, you get a mouthful of coke because it's isolated. Put a crack in the straw and you get very little coke, mixed with a bunch of air. Same concept with pc fans. If the exhaust fans can only draw from the case, any warmer air inside the case has only one place to go, out. If there's a leak/hole, not as much gets pulled from the case.

coolraveen

Commendable
May 26, 2020
Linus tech did a study years ago. They took a (then) standard case with an average setup and tested fan setups vs cpu temps under Prime95. Single rear exhaust, 90°C. Single intake, 85°C. Single intake/rear 75°C. Dual combinations with single opposite 72°C, both dual 70°C, triples 70°C etc.

So yes, a single fan can make a large difference, it depends entirely which fan and where.

A fan works by moving a pitched blade through air. The pitch creates a low pressure area behind it, the byproduct being the air pushed outwards by the front edge. The faster a blade moves, the stronger the low pressure area will be. But it's air, so the low pressure area is an area, no direction and its strongest at the point closest to the fan.

A rear exhaust closest source of fresh air is the giant hole in the top of the case being pushed in at 14.7 lbs per inch². Definitely a stronger source than what's given from the intakes a foot away.

If you put a top-rear exhaust, you add to the low pressure, making it stronger still, and larger in volume, but mostly only if you isolate it. If there's a fan port open at top-front/middle, it's going to be converted into an intake by the exhaust fans.

Think about a McDonald's straw. You suck, you get a mouthful of coke because it's isolated. Put a crack in the straw and you get very little coke, mixed with a bunch of air. Same concept with pc fans. If the exhaust fans can only draw from the case, any warmer air inside the case has only one place to go, out. If there's a leak/hole, not as much gets pulled from the case.
The problem is all these fans help making the work of the CPU fan easier, but the problem is that the given wraith stealth cooler does not do its job though, so changing the cooler is necessary if your room temperature is high.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Not really. The cpu output is far greater under a load than the ambient heat of the case. It's only really the idle or minimal loads that see an issue.

The Stealth was the worst of the CoolerMaster built Wraith series, but still a lot better than any other prior version, from AMD or Intel. But it does have limits. It's passable at best, built for nominal usage. Gaming is Extreme usage, by definition, not nominal, so the Stealth is barely passable at any ambient. You'd need to be in Northern Canada in Winter with all the windows open to get great temps.